icon

Rear defroster activation with compustar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
michelin 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

I was looking for some advice with rear defroster activation in a 1991 honda civic, with a compustar 1wam-s. I was thinking of using the blue wire from connector harness 1 pin#5 to power rear grind wire after the relay.  It seems the oem relay is grounded then a 12v+ wire leading to it from the switch on dashboard.  Switch has 12v+ wire with igntion in the on position, hit switch and another wire goes to 12v+ that leads to the relay, which turns it on.  Should i just connect to 12v+ wire at switch leading to relay to releave the demand on the remote start wire from directly providing the current to the rear grid.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated,  Also wire from r/s is 14g, wire at switch is like 18g-22g.  Is it okay to wire these together.  will be providing 12v+, not alot of demand though.

Thanks, michelin

meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

I believe the civic has a timer circuit with a relay for the rear defroster and uses a momentary switch to activate it. If that is the case and the blue wire from your remote starter is the pulse after starting output (or something similar), you should be able to attach it directly to the car, and it should activate the defroster. The wire to look for on your vehicle momentary switch is the one that displays a negative pulse when the defroster button is depressed. This type of connection will activate the rear defroster every time the car is remote started. I would prefer using a remote start negative pulse output that has to be activated by pressing buttons on the keypad.

MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
michelin wrote:

I was looking for some advice with rear defroster activation in a 1991 honda civic, with a compustar 1wam-s. I was thinking of using the blue wire from connector harness 1 pin#5 to power rear grind wire after the relay.  It seems the oem relay is grounded then a 12v+ wire leading to it from the switch on dashboard.  Switch has 12v+ wire with igntion in the on position, hit switch and another wire goes to 12v+ that leads to the relay, which turns it on.  Should i just connect to 12v+ wire at switch leading to relay to releave the demand on the remote start wire from directly providing the current to the rear grid.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated,  Also wire from r/s is 14g, wire at switch is like 18g-22g.  Is it okay to wire these together.  will be providing 12v+, not alot of demand though.

Thanks, michelin

The only problem I can see with the setup is the rear defrost will continue to stay on after the key is inserted.   
You may consider using the - black status wire as your ground. That way the defoster will only activate during the remote start period and deactivate when the run time ends or when you depress the brake.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Rear defroster activation with compustar -- posted image.
michelin 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

I understand what your saying about using the black(GWR) wire but the wire is activated as soon as the remote start is armed to start the car. that would mean the rear defrost would try to activate as soon as the wire gave ground.  I don't think the rear defrost will stay running if I connect it to the blue wire because once i get into vechicle I can hit brake pedal to shut off the unit which will kill 12v+ to the switch.  That's my theory.  I will have to set it up and see.

Thank's for the response, michelin

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic