icon

Can I connect a radio to the battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ripscarface 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Can I connect my Sony radio directly to the battery in my car.The car radio I have is Sony CDX-GT06.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
I can't think of any reason why not..The question is why on earth would you want to do all that when all the wires you need are already at the dashboard..and isin't it nice to have it shut off with the key? I would be concerned about forgetting to turn the radio off only to find a dead battery in the morning.
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

true....i could understand re running the constant (some reason couldnt get power to come through)...had to do that one time in my old honda. but not sure why you would want to do that on power.

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
In addition..if the factory constant wire is out for some reason and it is not a fuse..it might be easier in most cases to grab a constant at the ignition harness..behind the fuse panel..properly tapped to a fuse(which I don't like to do but it is an option) etc then running a wire all up under the dash..through the firewall..and to the battery with a fuse at the battery. If its an american car 99.9% of them have constant right behind the lighter..the draw is minimal on most decks for the memory.
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Some decks actually need that upgrade,my alpine deck lights would dim with the music when loud,i just put 10awg from battery and for ground and no more dimming!
And if the head unit is struggleing for power thru the factory power wires(which are pretty doodiety) the distortion     
levels may decrease a little too. I know mine did.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
astro88, if that needs to be done due to the factory wires being poor ,that is one of a few possible solutions..but ripscarface was asking if it COULD be done.. he didn't specify that there was a problem or if he was including the accessory wire as well..which would leave the deck on all the time he forgets to turn it off. If the acc wire was weak or defective you could use a relay feed from the battery if the ignition harness didn't have enough current supply ,and use accy to trigger it.
specialaudio 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
yea, i have the dimming to with a clarion Hu, i dont think i'd put a wire to the batt tho, if i did.. make sure its fused...
MAKE sure its fused. even tho 9/10 decks these days have fuses, i rather stop the problem b4 it gets to my stereo...
93' Cutlass
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
specialaudio wrote:
yea, i have the dimming to with a clarion Hu, i dont think i'd put a wire to the batt tho, if i did.. make sure its fused...
MAKE sure its fused. even tho 9/10 decks these days have fuses, i rather stop the problem b4 it gets to my stereo...
The way that is worded, makes me think you don't understand the purpose of the fuse... Better do some research before making comments like that.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
specialaudio 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
alright, a fuse is an over current device used for protection... no?
93' Cutlass
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

Without getting too technical the purpose of using a fuse in this case is to protect the wire...in other words even though the deck may have it's own fuse it is designed to be connected to the factory wiring at the dash..which is fused as well at the factory fuse panal, and the main feed from the battery to the ignition harness is "main" fused as well.

If you run a wire from the deck to the battery this presents a hazard if the WIRE itself is not fused close to the battery. If any part of the wire between the deck and battery were to short out in any way (pinched, screwed into, isulation peels off etc.) this will cause the wire to burn as the FULL current available from the battery travels through it. This burning will continue until the wire either breaks, or burns to the point where it's atoms no longer resemble a conductor..so yes...danger.

A simple 25 cent fuse at the battery will prevent this. The one that is already used with the deck will not protect against this, that is there to protect the deck itself from burning up..the one you need to put by the battery protects the wire and in effect the vehicle itself.

Hope that cleared things up a bit.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic