icon

Circuity City, I Should have known, 561R

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rokcruzer 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

After all the helpful input I got here, I went down to Circuit City at lunch today, having talked with an installer yesterday who assured me they could do what I requested.  (Horn on aux output, use tach, and use wait to start wire)

Today I go back... 

First they tell me that the Valet 561R doesn't have the relays on-board to run the locks on my 1998 Dodge truck.  Need to go up to the 1400XP.

Then, with the 1400XP, on top of the $100 install, it's another $50 to install the door lock  wires.  But because my Dodge is a 5-wire, it "takes longer than a normal setup", so it's another $50.  At the point that he was going to add another who-knows-how-much-on for the wait to start wire (Which I could understand a SMALL charge for, but after $50 because they have to cut a wire as opposed to just using a quick-tap on (which I was going to bribe the installer not to)), I grabbed my key back from him and told him no damn way.

Funny thing is, their website quotes $120 for remote start AND keyless entry.  This guy was at $200 and climbing in the blink of an eye.

I've been on both sides of the 'counter' on this, having owned a small business doing car security in the past.  If the system has lock outputs, ya wire 'em.  Additional, simple outputs were based on how out-of-the-ordinary they were..  (The wire is under the dash?  $10.  If we have to tear apart the interior to get to a wire on your rear deck, it'll run more)

I figured $200 installed was too good to be true...  I just HATE having my time wasted, and more than that, being LIED to.

rokcruzer 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
P.S. Truck is a '98 Dodge ram diesel... nothing special.
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
It also states on thier website additional parts and labor may be needed. Read the fine print.
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
i thought CC did no more with DEI.. the 1400xp dont have on board relays either for door locks. all i can say it take it elese were. we never charged to hook up the wait to start wire. but that was us. i heard nothign but bad things about CC and best buy, but that dont mean ALL cc and best buy are the same, just in my area.
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
The CC s in my area are 120 for keyless remotestart.  5 wire means nothing more than two extra minutes unless for some reason you have to go into a door or two.  I could maybe see some extra charge for the glow plug wire but it wouldnt be much.  Its usually easy enough to do especialy when you consider how much happier the customer would be.  Like swamprat323 said  not all CC s or BB are that way.  Sounds like a raw deal though.
rokcruzer 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  

I spoke with the manager on the phone and he said he would make sure I got it for the price of the unit + 120 for the install..

I told him that after them trying to overcharge me and basically rip me off, I don't trust my truck with them.

This was just a sign telling me I should do it myself...

Fastlearner - yeah, I read the fine print..  So you'd pay an extra $50 for 2 minutes worth of work? Didn't think so.  This isn't about fine print, it's about trying to take advantage of a customer.   Think about the other 95% of their customer base that wouldn't know 5-wire from hot wire..

Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
So you don't trust them with your car but your still going to go there and get it done. Great, have fun. I was just quoting that some people complain about nohting. It says extra charges may apply yet you still complain when they tell you about extra charges. Sure 50 does seem a little excessive and if you though that, you should have taken you business else. I guess I don't understand some customers.
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Gotta be honest: I completely agree with Fastlearner. Interesting fact is that if a customer takes his equipment home and tries to install it himself, now I gotta charge him to take it out and then charge him to fix what he broke, then charge him to install the unit. Let's put our cards on the table here. It only takes me 5 minutes to install a deck in a car, but I charge 49.99 plus a shop fee. It takes me 45 minutes to do a remote start/keyless in most vehicles, but I'm gonna charge you for 3hours. Why? Cause we are all employees of someone. I love my job and sometimes I wish we didn't charge for what we do, but we have to do what our bosses tell us. Good luck, man. I hope it works out for ya in the end.
P.S. We do our advertised prices unless your car falls into the other-than-basic category. I'm not defending CC, nor am I condoning their actions. I'm speaking for all the installers out there.
rokcruzer 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

Fastlearner wrote:
So you don't trust them with your car but your still going to go there and get it done. Great, have fun. I was just quoting that some people complain about nohting. It says extra charges may apply yet you still complain when they tell you about extra charges. Sure 50 does seem a little excessive and if you though that, you should have taken you business else. I guess I don't understand some customers.

I'm not letting them do it.  I can do just as good of, if not a better job myself anyway, since I can take my time...  It's just a pain since my truck doesn't fit into the garage...

When I told him i didn't trust them with my truck, I meant that they weren't getting my business.

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Is your truck the 12 valve one? If so, a reliable remote start isn't really doable since there is no useable tach source.
Mike
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic