icon

subwoofer wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
witchdr1 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
can anybody tell me how to wire 12 4 ohm dual voice coil subwoofers together, so they can equal a 2 ohm load? Your help is greatly appreciated.
rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
https://www.the12volt.com/ssi/getimage.asp?imgFN=4_4ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif
just expand to 12!!
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  

I don't believe it is possible.the best I could do is 2.6 which is pretty darn close. You will need to use a 2 ohm minimum mono amp to do this..or a 1 ohm stable stereo amp.

wire 6 sets of 2 subs in series..they will end up being 8 ohms per set.

parallel 3 sets of 4 which will be 4 ohms per each set.

parallel wire the total to the amp for a final load of 2.6 ohms.

I will post a diagram if you need, but later..my roomy is yelling at me to come watch a movie

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  

This is why the shop I work at always starts with the amp... your amp will determine what subs/speakers you can work with...

But if it must be 2 ohms... for a dozen 4dvc subs, it is impossible, but you can get close... Your saving grace will come in the fact that almost every subwoofer out there (including big names out there like Digital Designs, Kicker, Memphis, etc) are not exactly 4ohms on the coil. If you are lucky enough to get 4.2ohms at the coil itself, you can get 1.8666 ohms total (or at least that is the closest I can get....) If you calculate at 4ohms you can get 1.8 ohms... within tolerance of some amps, but just barely.

You're better off getting a 1 ohm stable amp.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
you shouldn't really go by that...which is the dc resistance measured at the coil...it can be used to determine if the speaker  is defective..but the actual rating of the speaker is an "average"..the "impedance" which is what is used for this rating constantly changes as the speaker is operating regardless. So, if you depend soley on the dc resistance, you can run into problems like cutting out etc. Rather then attempting to get "lucky" and "barely" make it..I would go with the rating of the sub to determine your final impedance for trouble free performance and longevity of the amp.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Take two subs and series the 4 voice coils together to total a 16 ohm load. Then wire all the sets of 2 in parallel to total a 2.6 ohm load which is the best you can do. You will need a 2 ohm stable amp, though
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, that will work. I did the figuring for SVC's but the final load is still 2.6ohm regardless. This is the best you will do with this setup if attempting a 2ohm final. Best of Luck.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic