icon

Cruise inop, Audiovox CCS-100, 99 Cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geners 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2006 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

I recently installed an Audiovox CCS-100 on my 99 Cavalier. Whenever I place the shifter in D the cruise engages and run the car up to 25mph. After this it stops and I can drive my car normally, however the cruise will not set.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2006 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
Check your wiring. The brown wire should go to thick pink wire in the ignition harness. The red wire should go to the orange wire on the brake switch and the purple wire to the white or light blue wire on the brake switch. The grey wire should go to the dark GREEN / WHITE wire located on the bottom side of the large connector plug beside the driver's side shock tower. The black wire should be grounded to the vehicle chassis. Check all DIP switch settings. The VSS for that car is 4000 PPM.
sparky
geners 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2006 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, found the problem. Poor connection at the brake switch. Now the only problem I have is it constantly surges instead of working smoothly. I wish I could explain it better. The only real question I have is is this normal operation or is there an adjustment. Again this is an Audiovox CCS-100.

Thanks for your help.

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2006 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure that the cruise controls throttle cable is tight, but not so tight that it pulls the throttle off of its idle resting position. Make sure that your ground is into the vehicle chassis. Scratch the paint away and make a good connection. Set the sensitivity to medium. There is a gray vacuum line that is near the drivers top back side of the motor. I believe it goes through the drivers firewall. There is a joint in it near the top of the motor. Use it for vacuum. Make sure that you didn't tap into an emissions vacuum line. The throttle is the most important. Rostra also recommends using a throttle adaptor to increase the leverage of the throttle assembly. You can eliminate this if you use pliers to slightly straighten out the steel bracket the throttle cable hooks to. You only need to take the bend out a bit.
sparky
geners 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2006 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Sparky

I will try this tomorrow. I know the cable is prob loose because of the previous problem I had.

Thanks again.

airandsound 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
geners wrote:

Ok, found the problem. Poor connection at the brake switch. Now the only problem I have is it constantly surges instead of working smoothly. I wish I could explain it better. The only real question I have is is this normal operation or is there an adjustment. Again this is an Audiovox CCS-100.

Thanks for your help.

For an extremely smooth and accurate cruise control you will need to start with one.
The SCS3342 vacuum servo or the SCS4432 Electric servo cruise are what you need.
geners 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Fixed the problem. Too much flex in cable bracket. Works as smooth if not better than the factory cruise. Thanks for the spam anyway...lol

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic