icon

03 Chevy Tahoe, enclosure opinions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cmrs2k 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

Greetings everyone.  I have an 03 Chevy Tahoe that was previously running 4 Eclipse SW6123 dual 4 ohm subs on 1 JL Audio 1000/1.  The enclosure is a vented one, and was built to the specs of these subs.  It was only intended to be something temporary while I built up my arsenal for a much more enjoyable setup.  I have now obtained another JL 1000/1, and 6 Diamond Audio D312D4 subs.  Being the "kid on Christmas morning" that I am, I threw in 4 of the 6 into the current enclosure and began the break in.  They are obviously much more capable than the previous ones, and will soon get that power.  I am just trying to figure out how to go about my enclosure this time.  I originally intended to install a sealed enclosure for the 6 Diamonds, but I am really questioning this.  The 4 that are in it sound rather nice in the vented enclosure.  My request for opinions is this:

Assuming that any enclosure will be built to specs no matter what.  6 Diamond Audio D312D4.  2 sets of 3.  Each set of 3 Running on 1 JL Audio 1000/1.  2 Optima Yellows right now, and probably 2 more to come.  Would you eat up the space and go vented or with approx.  333w rms per sub, would you go for the sealed setup.  I am interested in spl, but sq is still a big factor.  My tahoe is equipped with Diamond Audio hex series components throughout on 3 JL 300/2's.  I like nice clean sound, but I like bone crushing bass as well. 

I know that ported vs sealed has probably been argued to death, but I am hoping with specific application information there might be some geniuses that want to throw in their $.02.  Thanks.

Chris R.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
i would say build 3 sealed boxes with 2 subs in each.
cmrs2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the response.  That's one vote for sealed.

I want to clarify one aspect though,

Are you saying that I should chamber 2 subs together or are you just saying sealed with 2 subs in a box, with the subs still individually chambered

Chris R.
sin0cide 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
you obiously want lots of bass so you should stick with a vented setup or venture into the bandpass style if you feel lucky... (bandpass is a shot in the dark)
cmrs2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the response.  I defiinitely want a lot of bass.  Bandpass...I definitely don't want to do. I've never had results I liked with bandpass. 

Thats 1 for sealed, 1 for ported. 

Everyone, please feel free to add your $.02, the polls are still open.

Chris R.
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
ported. the bass will be there if you need it. nothing like a good ported box built to spec.
cmrs2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you.  2 for ported, 1 for sealed.

I had not done much in the way of ported enclosures until recently.  The Diamond subs that I have sound great in the ported enclosure that I built for the Eclipse subs.  That is what started this, I was planning on building a sealed enclosure for the 6 Diamonds, but being the guy who can't wait, when I stuck four of them in the existing box, the battle began. 

Thanks everyone for your input.

Chris R.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
I always prefer ported over sealed...a ported box can have just ask good sound quality as a sealed box if built correctly
cmrs2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply.  It seems that ported has it.  The building of the ported enclosures will begin this weekend.  Thanks again to everyone who has given me their input.

Chris R.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
what are you going to tune the ports to? I hope you arent doing one large box for all 6 subs!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic