icon

Power Probe, safe to use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Power Probe seems like a perfect tool to search for wires. But I was told never to use a light probe, always a DMM. This is really not like a light bulb probe. My question is, Is it safe to use Power Probe on wires?
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of power probe you got? I worked with an installer that used one that was "computer safe". We were probing the ignition wires on a Colorado and when we touched the starter wire it started the car. After that experience, I'll always use my meter...
bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  

the probe is called "power probe" It has one LED that changes red if it sees + and green if it see ground. You can throw + and - through the probe by hitting a rocker switch like if you want to activate door locks or something. The probe connects to the  battery for power.

this is the pic https://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GBLZ8E.01-AO31J4X228FVG._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65202011_.jpg

zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Silvrefox wrote:
What kind of power probe you got? I worked with an installer that used one that was "computer safe". We were probing the ignition wires on a Colorado and when we touched the starter wire it started the car. After that experience, I'll always use my meter...
I had a similar experience when i first started at Best Buy. It had been my first week and i was doing a keyless entry system and the guy teaching me basically made me use one of those and once that damn thing turned the radio on while i was testing a wire i knew it couldn't be any good. So i just stick to my multimeter from now on.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
sxyscion 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
I use the pgi pistol probe blue. It is fine for most things but i will use a dvm on wires i am unsure of. The blue pistol probe outputs around 5 volts at rest. It tells you this in the owners manual.So when you do probe some circuits with it you are sending 5 volts into it and some circuits will turn on with that voltage ie a new chevy vehicle starter circuit. I just seen the new pistol probe with a dvm built in and it tested only about 70 millivolts. If you are unsure about if its safe or not take your dvm and test the probe at rest. Even dvm have voltage at rest if you test them with another dvm. Some vehicles only need a .25v to set off the air bag so just be carefull.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Those power probes are great for building and testing harnesses and such, i'd never use one for intrusive testing.. I use a "computer safe" probe called the power probe, but it doesnt send and voltage down the line. It will however trigger the starter on gm vehicles.. its really nive and comperable with the snapon probe.. red for + and green for (-) but it was only $60..    I still use the dmm for anything Im really unsure of... best 100 bux I ever spent!
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
Power probe? Is that the same as a test light? Because I have a computer safe Snap On test light and I use it regularly without any problems. I just stay away from the airbag wires and by the computers. I use a DMM when im not sure of the voltage, but I do know this is recommended to use all the time.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic