Rear Fill?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dubdpt 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hello Everyone.
I just searched the archives on rear fill and came upon some interesting questions.
Why is rear fill considered bad for a SQ car? My personal taste is to hear sound from all 4 corners, but there has to be a reason for this.
Im pretty experienced in car audio but I want to learn all I can.
Also, I am thinking about making my own crossovers. I have some infinity components and with the crossover that came with them it sounds like the bass is a bit much for 6.5s. Im thinking a cutoff of about 100 hz for the mids and what should I use for the tweet?
TIA for the opinions!
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
My opinion is I like to run my 6.5s between 80 and 100hz, with my tweets between 8k to 10k. It really depends on what you listen to most. I like a warm, rich sound so that usually does the trick for me.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

rear fill is most often frowned upon in SQ because it most often times pulls the soundstage to the rear. in SQ, you want the soundstage as far in front of you as possible.

For crossovers, look at the response graphs for each speaker you want to crossover and figure out where they would blend well.

dubdpt 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
any more suggestions?
I have a pt cruiser and the rear speakers are pointed down and are slightly below the rear seats, killing most of the sound. The car has 5x7s in rear. What I am thinking of doing is fiberglassing some enclosures to put some 6x9s or 6.5s in, imaging them towards the front. What would be the suggestion to do this? Should I go with 6x9s? I know they have really good midbass. But the 6.5s would definately be easier to install.
Thanks for the suggestions and for the help!
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
If you plan on installing a sub, I would go with the 6.5 if it would be easier to install.  If not, then I would go with the 6x9's to squeeze as much bass out of the speaker that you can.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Rear "fill" is a matter of taste unless you are building a surround-sound system.  Rear door speakers locations are usually designed for adding sound to the rear seat, not for the front seat passengers.  For SQ comp, rear fill can be a very negative thing as points are awarded for proper driver's seat sound-staging, but if you are not competing do whatever sounds best to you.  If you are trying to use the rear door locations to augment mid-bass, it can be done but a better solution is usually to use better performing front main comps and/or to add dedicated mid-bass woofers in front kick panels so you can hear it better in the front seat.  I prefer no rear fill personally, and I do not like 6X9 speakers, but it's your car do what you think sounds best.
Support the12volt.com
dubdpt 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
What I would really like to do is to listen to someones car that has a really good setup. Most people in this town think Jensen is the best, so Im kinda alone with my setup.
Im going to do some testing in my car and see if I really want the rear fill and if I do Ill probably do some 6.5s.
I appreciate the help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic