the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

24 volt Toyota Landcruiser, cd player

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
desh187 
Copper - Posts: 310
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have done a couple of these vehicles and i need some advice about what iam about to say:
Since everything is 24 volt application on these,a power inverter is needed or even a single 24 volt relay (acc)if only cd player is installed.
I used a 12 volt supply from one battery(has two 12 volt batteries)after testing with my multi meter as one battery reads 12 and the other 24.I ran a 12 gauge wire from this one battery(fused)to cd player and just because i was told by the dealer,had to use a 15 amp power inverter for accessories.
I had told the dealer that i would prefer using just a 24 volt relay for accessories as there was no need for a big inverter but they insisted as they could use a cig lighter output or something else in the future.
---Now things were okay for a while until one day vehicle couldnt be started because of a dead battery.When the vehicle was boosted(who knows how),it popped the 10 amp fuse behind the cd player----
Well that was taken care of but the vehicle died again after a while.
These vehicles i had done a hours away from where iam and it is freezing cold there as well(Yukon,Canada).
Well the mechanics there complained that the batteries are not charging properly and that because iam using 12
volt from one battery,it overcharges one battery and kills it.
I surely know that it is not possible as these batteries are in series and the 12 volt i have used is only for radio memory which does not consume much at all.
Any ideas as i hate to be blamed for something i dont think is the case.
Thanks..
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
What is your question?
desh187 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
My question is that is it possible for the battery to die after what i have done and if the answer is yes then,what is the solution for this?
Thanks.
mike12volt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Is the constant power at oem radio harness reading 24v?
All you need is to make sure the aftermarket radio is getting 12v at harness for constant, acc and dimmer. If it's not, then you need a step-down transformer or a relay that is tapped from 12v. A friend of mine has F-350 with two batteries, but it's only for start-up not everything else like lights and accessories.
adrianspeeder 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
mike12volt wrote:
A friend of mine has F-350 with two batteries, but it's only for start-up not everything else like lights and accessories.
The ford diesels use two 12volt batteries wired directly in parallel and there is no particular "starting" or "accessory" battery. 24 volt Toyota Landcruiser, cd player -- posted image.
Adrianspeeder
'02 F250 PSD, '97 F-150, '71 F-100, '66 F-250, '93, '92, '88, '84 Broncos
Penn State electrical engineerin' major
mike12volt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2006 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
My point being that every thing in a vehicle is operated in 12v dc. The reason for two batteries is for initial start of the engine. If some vehicles are copletely on 24v, I would like to know.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
I don't see how the system is 24 volt but deck is 12 volt
desh187 
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
The Japanese (rhd)version of Toyota landcruiser 60/70 series and Nissan Safari diesel are 24 volts ,not just for starting.There is a 24 volt stereo,cigaratte lighter,door locks-lets just say everything.
If it does come with a 12 volt stereo,then there is a power inverter(sometimes the facory amp is also the inverter).
The big problem is when we have to use an aftermarket stereo,we have to pick power from one battery and 24v relay for acc.
After doing some research and feedback from Australia,i have now found out that picking power from one 12 volt batt is not a good idea as after a while that one battery starts draining and the other battery starts to overcharge.
What could be the best solution for installation of stereos in these types of vehicles ?
The other thing is picking 24 volt constant power thru a power inverter will always keep the inverter on draining the battery.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
If room allows, consider an additional 12 volt battery/alternator setup.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Your best option is to step the 12 volts down, through the use of a voltage reducer or a voltage regulator. The regulator route will CERTAINLY be FAR less expensive, but it will also be far more difficult to implement, in that power range. Below are 3 different models of power adapters for up to 15A ranges.
This one would likely be a good bet.
Another option.
Here's my Yahoo search... I used that to locate those above links.
Try some of those, see whether any of those will do what you need to have done. Hope this was helpful!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic