icon

etching, frosting plexiglass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
momuzykent 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

I've been reading forums for awhile but this is my first post.  I fg two 10's in in spare tire well of acura legend coupe and built false floor for amps and crossovers.  On the top pieces covering false floor i am going to have plexiglass to show off equipment.

Didn't know whether to post this in fiberglass (plexi) section or lighting section but my questions is since my amps are sealed i want to cut logo's out of plexiglass on top of the amps to avoid having to add fans for cooling.  Suggestion on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to have the logo cut out and add lights(neon's or led's) that will light up the edges of the logo i have cut out.

All suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cashville, Tenn-a-key
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

Alright bud theres two different ways that I know of to do this. You can print out your image glue it to the plexi, make sure you leave the covering on the plexi do not remove that before you do this process. Glue your image to the plexi, cut it in the shape you need. Then take a dremel tool and etch out your image.

Or this is what I did, it cost more but it looks so good it was totally worth it. I went to a trophy shop where they laser etch plexiglass. Just call around and you should be able to find one. Give them the image you want in the format they need for their program and they'll etch it in for you.

If you search on here theres some other posts i've made about it, theres alos a guy that had his laser etched and he's got pics of it on here, it looked so amazing thats why I was willing to pay the extra money.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
integratyper934 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
you could just get a sticker use the negative side and use frost spray paint and peel it off..............simple and fast.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
I dont recommend getting plexi laser etched. acrylic or lexan gives much better results when laser etched. Make sure they do atleast 2 passes with the laser to fully etch the glass.
1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
the 2 ways I know of .
1) goto a vinyl shop they have a vunyl CALLED etched glass,
have them cut it out to where it would work on the INSIDe of the lexan ( reversed I guess is what its called )you will never know its a sticker ..
2)goto a vinyl shop and get a vinyl made and use the neg. like someone else said , But instead of etching it with a dremel sand blast it on LOW PRESSURE.Make sure its on low pressure or it will melt the lexan.
OR
do the same step as #2 just use sand paper and u can hand sand it or whatever u choose.
Ed

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic