icon

amp is on, but the subs dont work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zbig2187 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Kenwood head unit (KDC-MP232) hooked up to a Hifonics BXI1206D which is running a pair of 12" kicker cvr's, however my problem is that i have it all hooked up and the subs dont work. The amp is on, and i've tested the subs and they work, but i dont know what to do now? I have tried messing with the head unit to see if it is not allowing the amp to work properly. I have no idea what to do, any suggestions would be great.
philaf 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
have you tested the amp? quick trick, as i mentioned in another thread, is to take a portable player (ipod, walkman, cd player, etc..) and plug it into the amp using a mini-to-rca cable. obviously have the car on so the amp still powers up, and see if the subs play to the music from the portable player. if it does, work backwards from there.. try a different set of rca's. then try a different deck. if however the subs don't play, try a different amp
zbig2187 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
Well i tested the amp with the mini-to-rca cable and hooked that up to a cd player and the subs worked. so now i think it has somethinng to do with the deck. I've read through the instruction manual for the deck about a hundred times and have no idea what function turns on a sinal so that i can run the amp? The only idea i have is that it might have something to do with the Auxiliary Input setting? I'm pretty sure the patch cable is fine becuase i had some one test it with a some meter and he said it was fine, so that takes out the posibility of the patch cable.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Your deck does not have a subwoofer output.  Make sure the speaker type is set to OFF so you get a full-range signal from the rear RCA output (see page 10 of your owners manual) and make sure you have your fader set to the middle or zero.  Then you must use the crossovers built into your amp (or an external one) to control the subwoofers.  Set it to LP and about 80-100Hz.
Support the12volt.com
zbig2187 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
One question, what do you mean the crosover built into my amp? im looking at the features for the amp and it has subsonic filter, bass EQ, low pass filter, phase, level, and power. I tried turnig up the subsonic filter, low pass filter, and phase, but nothing happened. I had my deck set to speaker off and the fade was at zero. Would it be eaiser to just buy a new deck or will this deck actually allow me to use subs with it?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
LP is a low pass FILTER....set it to between 80-100 like DYohn said.
The subsonic filter is a high pass filter...but for the lows of lows...turning it up will do nothing to whether there will be sound or not. Are the rcas FIRMLY plugged into the deck??
philaf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

it doesn't matter what the settings on the amp are right now.. (it worked with the portable remember?) .. the problem is with the signal coming INTO the amp. so it's either in the rca's or the deck itself..

try jacking your portable player into the rca's using some barrel connectors. so now the signal should go like this..

portable player --> mini-to-rca cable --> barrel connectors --> your already-run rca's --> your amp

if this works, your deck is the issue. if the above does not work , try the following..

take an extra set and just run them thru the interior and plug them in. no need hiding them right now as you're only using them for testing.. if the new cable works, then install it properly and yank the bad set.

hope this helps :)

zbig2187 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Im pretty sure the rca's are good, i mean i did just buy them last week, is there something wrong with rockford fosgate patch cables? Besides that i tested them while they were still plugged into the deck, they had a reading of 30 to 40 plus on a digital multi meter. i'll be honest i dont know what that means, but the person showing me what to do said if it had a high reading than the cables were fine.
I'm not to sure about this whole portable player to mini-to-rca-cable idea etc, it requires buying more stuff and im just about broke, is there any other way to determine the problem without spending any more money? like DYohn said my deck has issues with subwoofer output so im deciding weather thats the whole problem right there. if that is the case, than i would be inclined to just go buy a new deck and not spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out something that may never work. But i would like to know if the amp could still get a signal from the deck somehow to power the subs. I tried messing with the low pass filter and it seemed to do nothing, is there any other ideas? And by the way anzboi they are plugged in tight, believe me i've checked and re checked about every time i try to run the subs.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

zbig2187 wrote:
Im pretty sure the rca's are good, i mean i did just buy them last week, is there something wrong with rockford fosgate patch cables? Besides that i tested them while they were still plugged into the deck, they had a reading of 30 to 40 plus on a digital multi meter. i'll be honest i dont know what that means, but the person showing me what to do said if it had a high reading than the cables were fine.

Hmm, not sure what yu were reading, but if you read "30 to 40" ohms from one end of the cable to the other, then the cable is bad.  You should be able to use your deck with subs.  As has been said, if the subwoofers came on with a different input then there is simply something wrong with the cable or the deck.  Try a new set of cables first.

As far as settings on your amp, try this: subsonic filter OFF, LP filter ON and set to 80-100Hz.  Phase at 0, Bass EQ off or at zero.  Make sure your input gain is set correctly as well.

Support the12volt.com
philaf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

for the record, i have seen many issues with rf rca cables.. couldn't tell you how many times i've had to open a new package cuz the ones i was installing had a crap connection (i work at best buy.. )

it wasn't so common on the clear-jacketed cables they used to use, but these new fabric covered ones blow. very weak connections in the head of the rca that fall apart under any strain. it's gotten so bad that i check them on the test bench before i even think of running them in the car.. and even then i pray that i didn't put too much pressure on them when i was running them. makes me want to slap a fosgate exec in the face.. their build quality has been steadily slipping over the years. figure another couple years we'll be seeing them in walmart with all the other crap

edit.. and by the way, those barrel connections shouldn't cost more than like 2-3 bucks. not a bad thing to keep in your toolbox along with that mini-to-rca cable.. i even keep an old md player in my box that i use just for testing stuff like this

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic