icon

Suggestions on remote starters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gtsguy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  

Hi.  New here.  I am looking into some remote starters with keyless entry for my 99 Ford ranger xlt, auto.  I would like to install it myself too. I not to sure if I want an alarm or not.  Are the alarm systems harder to install then the remote starter/keyless entry systems?  Oh, and I would like long range too.  What system do you guys recommend?  Thank you.

ers1121 
Copper - Posts: 110
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
I'm a big fan of Omega products, the Mars-22 is a good unit. If you want a good alarm & RS combo the Omega Max is a good unit. Both are reasonably easy to install, but you will probably need a transponder bypass to go with that. Bypasskit.com has the TBK5, it is simple to install but requires a spare key to remain in it. Just did my 99 Explorer last week.
Ed
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
If you have the larger headed keys you will need a transponder interface (as already stated by ers1121). I would suggest using the PKF1 from bypasskit.com. It does not consume a key and connects directly to the data wires in the truck.
As far as which starter to go with, I prefer DEI, but others have their preferences and most suggestions you will get will be very good product. I would suggest finding a brand that is self install friendly. I can not speak for most brands, but DEI does not warranty their better stuff for a do it yourself job.
ers1121 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I tried the PKF-1 in my Explorer it wouldn't work. When I contacted tech support they told me there were issues with some '99 model Fords. Thats why I suggested the TBK5. At 35.00 for the extra key I was hoping the PKF woud work, but....
Ed
john ogrady 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
One thing I look for in a car starter is quality of the wiring.Some companies use 14 gauge wire for the ignition harness and lot of vehicles have either 12 or 10 gauge for their ignition switch wires.I have removed some of these units with the 14 gauge harness and the harness was starting to MELT.I myself use Audiovox these units have thicker wire.Do not be afraid to open up the boxes of different units and have a look at the contents when shopping.There is a certain saying "You get what you pay for"
dangerousdarren 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
If you want long range nothing beats the Black Widow S4 or S5 - 3000'. They are both 2 way FM, the S4 remote uses LED's and the S5 uses a LCD on the remotes to tell you the vehicle has started. If you want a r/s - alarm combo they have the Z5 (that is what I have on my own car) It is the same as the S5, but also includes an alarm. They also feature programable cold starting, and stop and go, and can be programed to work with a manual transmission.
As stated above, the Omega Mars 22 is also a great unit and if you want long range the offer a 2 way FM remote upgrade that will give you 2000'. The Max is a great unit (actually the first remote start I ever installed on my own), but Omega now has a new combo r/s - alarm unit based on the Mars series. The Mars 32 and the Mars 33 is the r/s - alarm combo with the upgrade 2 way FM remote.
Darren
ers1121 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged  
I have the Omega Max with the Echo 2-way in my pickup, awesome unit. My truck is parked about 750' from my shop, starts first time, every time, even sending the signal through the concrete walls.
Ed
mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
i like the dei viper 5900 or 5500 for 2 way or the new viper 160xvl one mile range remote starts.
gtsguy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2006 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for you suggestion guys.  I've looked in to them all.  What do you guys think about compustar sysmtems?  How hard would it be to install one of these things? 

mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
i have never installed one, but they are probably like any other.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic