icon

2005 Cadillac STS, flood car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carlosm1974 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Just bought it off an auction site.  It came w/o keys or fobs.  I  bought key and one fob at dealer.  Key worked on door but RFID FOB not detected.  I found/used programming procedure for fob, no luck. 

GM parts guys (at dealer) advises I need to tow car to dealership so they can program FOB to computer (ECM or BCM, I don't recall which).  

Questions:  Can I remove ECM/BCM and take it to dealership along with key & FOB without taking the car?  Can they program it on another PK3 equipped car?  I live out in the country so towing is $$ and a hassle.

2nd Question:  Is there a way to force the car to learn the new FOB?

thanks in advance for your assistance, Carlos

Carlos
black cavy 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

So the car won't even let you start it with the new key????

I don't think it has the smart tech key in that car,not to sure about GM

But if you can start the car,just forget the factory key fob and install a new aftermarket unit

Now that its a flood car,the ECM could of sorted out thats why it won't hold the key fob

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Was it flooded in freshwater or salwater? Saltwater is like acid on electrical components. I'm realizing that trying to restore my car that was flooded by Katrina. A lot of people dont realize that Lake Ponchartrain is actualy a saltwater bay. When it poured over the levees of New Orleans it flooded the city with saltwater. A lot of the wiring in my car is so corroded more than half the metal in the wire is gone.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
For starters you are taking a huge gamble on a flood car. The amount of modules and wiring on that car that will require replacing is exetensive depending on how much of the car was under water. If water was inside the car and half way up the dash, get rid of the car. You will have to replace every module sooner or later and that will cost thousands of dollars. To program a new key without a good working key, you must tow the car to the dealer. They can't do it any other way.
sparky
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Im with sparkie. The best you can hope for is a car that should have a salvage title....they aren't worth much.
carlosm1974 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the reply....

I opened the bottom dash and the BCM & wiring looks like new, no hint of water or corrosion.

Carlos
carlosm1974 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  

I realize it is a risk but to be honest it the only way I could get into a new STS.  BCM and wiring looks new, no signs of water under dash.  I appreciate your response.

Carlos
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Removing the BCM and taking it to them would be useless they would need the whole car. I would think they can cut and program a key for that car without the car there, as long as you provide proof of ownership. Sounds like they just cut you a key, and didn't program it.
Mike
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
This is the procedure for the older PASSKey III system. You have not just regular PK3, but PK3+........might be different, might not.
By the way, I believe your replacement key should have a + with a circle around it stamped on the metal blade. If it has something else stamped there instead, it is probably the wrong key.
(If you do this at night, or in a dark garage, the automatic headlights come on........connect a battery charger.)
1. Turn key on, turn to Start position, release.......leaving in Run position.
Security light (padlock symbol on dash) should be flashing.
Leave key in Run position for about 10 minutes, until the Security light goes out.
2. Repeat Step 1, two more times.
3. Turn key off...... couldn't hurt to remove it and let the car sit for a moment too........     and try to start the car.
carlosm1974 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

Key was fine, worked from the time I had it made at the Caddy dealer.  It was the Fob needed to be programmed.  I found a helpful parts guy at the local GM dealer and he got me in to the service dept.. 

At first the Tech2 would not communicate at all (no comm.) with any of the modules.  They called GM for assistance. GM emailed them the exact same procedure they were already using (method 4-PK3 Fob programming).   I had bought the factory service manuals and recalled reading about the use of the CANDI module and asked if they would try it.  The put it between the Tech2 and the DLC connector and after a few menu selections it started communicating. 

We then went through the long process of erasing existing FOBs and reprogramming my newly purchased one. Tech2 display first showed not programmed but then showed it was programmed. Tried a few of the buttons and the car came to live (big smile). 

The service guys asked if I wanted to try starting the car and I said yes (if it didnt work at home I was stuck trying to diagnose without a Tech2).  He hit the start button and the engine started...... roughly, smoke out the back. stayed on for minute or two and then died.  We all suspected bad gas (tank showed 3/4 full.   Towed the car home so I could siphon the gas.  Put new regular gas in it has been running smoothly so far.....   I have bought an OBD II unit and will not work my way through remaining issues.

If anyone is interested, I'll keep you guys posted.   

PS...   Nice riding car.  

Carlos

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic