icon

1997 Maxima Neutral Wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, im doing a remote start on a 1997 maxima. But i dont know where to get the neutral wire from. On a wire diagram that i got from audiovox, it says the "neutral saftey wire" is GREEN/ orange on the drivers switch. First of all what switch is it? Second, could this wire only be for automatic trans. maximas. So far, im using the e-brake for saftey but i dont want to let this car go without doing the neutral wire. For the clutch, im connecting it to the start output of the remote start.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

So what I'm guessing, is that you have installed a remote start that is NOT designed for a manual transmission. If it were.....you do NOT need a neutral safty wire.

BE CAREFUL.

bryantobando 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
What brands make Manual remote starts. Which ones are good?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Compustar, Astroflex, Ultrastarter....most likely the favorite on this site would be the Compustar. Me, I'm an Astro guy.
ers1121 
Copper - Posts: 110
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  

For manual tranmission installs I prefer Ultrastarters, to me they seem the most user friendly.

Ed

Ed
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Most Nissan vehicles have a "P/NP' switch built in the to manual tranny.  It goes to ground when the tranny is in N and it floats when the car is in any gear.  All the ones I have seen run from the tranny to the ECU.  Accessing the factory service manual should give you all the information you need.
Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry, but "P/NP" stands for Park/Neutral Position switch.  Nissan's ECUs use it to prevent no load revving.
Kevin Pierson
bryantobando 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
So where can I find the wire for the neutral saftey on this car. I cant change the remote start unit anymore and I prefer DEI over anything
KPierson 
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

Like I said, you will need to consult the factory service manual for the exact location, if it even exists.  You can purchase the factory service manuals online from Nissan for $20 (pdf format). 

If you don't want to go that route, locate the ECU and look for the color wire you listed above.

Kevin Pierson
KarTuneMan 
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Don't TRY and find a way to instal the incorrect remote start on a manual trans....it's just plain foolish.

PLUS::: the mods will lock the topic.....then your done.

Do it correctly.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic