Stereo setup ideas?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialaudio 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone how are things?

Im a 1st time poster so let me know i can change anything.

A couple of years ago I did a co-op at a Car audio shop in my area and learned a lot, they taught me the basics but not the true in depth of the world of car audio. So like ever young guy, i wanted to pump the tunes. i bough a JBL BP150.1 amp from them and then got two 10 inch Kenwood Subs of another, it was nothing exciting just enough to make me happy playing my beats. I was extremely surprised on the power of the little Amp, it make wonderful sound compared to some of my buddies who just abuse there amps. As time went on, I wanted to upgrade so i got one JBL GTO 1202D 12 inch sub from a friend since he blew one. I got a ported box included in the price... just recently i got another of the JBL subs. Now comes the time that i want to replace the 2 little Kenwood’s and put the GTOs.

I have a Few questions for this set up,

the main one is, is that amp strong enough to push those subs? Im running a Clarion head unit which can play the highs and mids alright, but of course I don’t want to drown them out.
my Second Question is, Should i keep the Box Ported or get a Sealed enclosure? I’m aware that the ported makes more bass, and the sealed is for better sound.. but since my speakers aren't hardcore will it be worth it?
and lastly, should i connect it in Series or parallel ?

The Kenwoods are SVC, in a ported box

the Jbls are DVC.. but of coruse everyone knew that Stereo setup ideas? -- posted image.

thanks alot, hope to hear from you guys soon...

js

93' Cutlass
specialaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
forgot to say that i have a small cap, i know its almost useless but my dad heard it was better.. lol
93' Cutlass
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  

well first of need the specs on the woofers and the amp. if they are svc 4ohm then wire them in series to give you an 8ohm rating then, take 2 of the subwoofers and do this then do the same with the other two. then wire the pairs parallel and would give u a 4ohm load to your amp. this might have not come out right so if you need a picture this site has many great tools to help you out. i would upgrade the amp or get another one because your going to hook up 4 woofers instead of two, so they will be seeing only 1/2 the power because the other subs are taking it.

hope that made sense xD good luck

advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a good amp. I still have the same one sitting on the shelf. The bass pump amps were underrated and put out alot of power.
specialaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
alright, well im only hooking up two of the JBL GTOs,
the specs on the amp are;
Key Features
Amplifier TypeMono Channel
BridgableNot Bridgable
RMS Power at 4 Ohms75 W x 1
RMS Power at 2 Ohms150 W x 1
Performance
Frequency Response10 Hz - 320 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio90 dB
THD at Rated RMS Power0.1 %
Crossover / Equalizer
Bass BoostWith Bass Boost
Bass Boost Frequency50 Hz
Low - Pass Frequency32 Hz - 320 Hz
Other Features
3 Way Ready No
Dimensions
Width8 in.
Depth2.69 in.
Height8.75 in.
Miscellaneous

and the Subs... 2 of these,

WarrantyOne Year
General
MSRP U.S. $99.95
Power Handling, RMS300 Watts
Power Handling, Peak1200 Watts
Sensitivity93dB
Impedance1 or 4 Ohms depending on wiring
Mounting Depth5-1/16"
Cut-Out Diameter11-3/16"

anything else let me know...

93' Cutlass
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Ditch the Kenwoods, use the JBL's in the ported box if you want it to thump or the sealed if you want it smooth. The ported box will be louder.
All in all, you're only sending 75w per sub, you could go with a much bigger amp easily, it would improve the sound quality dramatically simply b/c of greater headroom.
If it were me, I'd do the 12's in a sealed box with about 250w RMS each/500 total. And I'd use an amp with a remote sub level adjustment to balance it out.
specialaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
alright, thanks for the info, and what kinda of amp you got in mind? i got about 200-300 to spend.. and i dont want the other speakers to be over powered...
93' Cutlass
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=19054
Try something like that. You can get away with a mid quality amp, just get something reliable. Look for a mono amp that's around 500w RMS.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Guys, take note that he is in Canada when you reply. Ebay and US e-tailer referrals are never ever in the best interest for a Canadian due to lack of warranty, importing duties and brokerage fees, excessive shipping charges and the US - CDN $ conversion. I'll look around for a recommended amp for you.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
specialaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
yes sir, i am in canada, our winters aare cold, our summers are hot, and they we say "aboot" not "about" hahaha not to mention most car are ruined before 200,000 KILOMETERS due to the salt. lol..  its hard to find good stuff here, im not really into best buy or future shop so it hard.. but oh well it is still a passion of mine and it will always be...
Back to the question,  no one thinks that my Jbl amp isnt good? i love that little thing.. haha
93' Cutlass
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic