icon

automate 553, 2003 Dodge Dakota

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobbybattles 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, first time posting, but Ive been lurking for a while.
I recently bought a 2003 Dodge Dakota that has a Automate 553 aftermarket alarm on it.
Ive researched this alarm, and I think its got remote start on it as well.
Of course, the dealership did not have an remote to go with it, so now Im on a mission to locate one.
I thought that I figured it out. I thought it was a 476A remote that would work. Well, today I tried to program it, and the system wouldnt recognize it. So I called the Directed phone number, and they told me it would be the 491T. They said the reason it wouldnt be the 476 had something to do with the date code. On the brain, I found something that said OK and something that said 2I.
Can anyone give me any insight into this?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm, i thought i remember programming a 476a to a 553 once myself. According to the DEI website, the 491T is the right one. That said, i have a newer style 553A in my workvan and the model number on the back of it is a 474T.What programming sequence did you use?
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
bobbybattles 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

i looked up the Automate install guide off of the DEI website, and used those program instructions.  However, on the install manual, it says the 553 should have the 476 remote. 

When I called the DEI folks, they said it should be the 491 based on the date code. 

When I tried to program it, i tried 2 different ways.  First, I held the valet till it beeped, then hit it the number of times accordingly then held the following one, and i would hit the remote button.  It is supposed to chirp I believe if it takes, and it didnt chirp. 

The other way I tried, was just hitting the valet the number of times, and then holding the following one, then hit the button, still no luck. 

So, I am guessing its something with the date code.  Just not sure how.

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

There were two versions of the 553 and they did program differently. The easyiest way to tell which you have is to look at the relays for the remote start function. If they are just a group of 4 relays tied together it's 1st gen, if it is a small black box with the fat wires going to a white plug it's 2nd(and now called an AM7). The 1st had gray remotes(476 i thought) and the second had black(491). I'm pretty sure i've used both remotes on either gen RS, so they should work. The first gen is

key on, door open, press valet 8 times and hold, press lock on remote, turn key off

The second gen is

key on, open door, pressvalet 1 time and hold, press lock on remote, turn key off.

This program sequence should program all buttons to thier factory settings.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
bobbybattles 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

There were two versions of the 553 and they did program differently. The easyiest way to tell which you have is to look at the relays for the remote start function. If they are just a group of 4 relays tied together it's 1st gen, if it is a small black box with the fat wires going to a white plug it's 2nd(and now called an AM7). The 1st had gray remotes(476 i thought) and the second had black(491). I'm pretty sure i've used both remotes on either gen RS, so they should work. The first gen is

key on, door open, press valet 8 times and hold, press lock on remote, turn key off

The second gen is

key on, open door, pressvalet 1 time and hold, press lock on remote, turn key off.

This program sequence should program all buttons to thier factory settings.

ok, when you say 8 times, does that mean hold on the 8th, or hold on the ninth?

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Hold on the ninth...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
bobbybattles 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have an AutoMate 553 alarm/remote start on my 03 Dodge.  Its been working great, then all of a sudden, yesterday, both of my remotes stopped working.  However, every once an hour or so, the alarm would respond when I hit a button on the remote, but thats it.  Then this morning, when I woke up, the remote start worked, and I was able to disarm the alarm with the remote.  But then I got to work, and it wouldnt respond again. 

I sat in the truck trying to re-program it, and when I would hit the arm button on the remote, sometimes it would arm, but only after i would hit disarm, and there was an extra chirp afterwards. 

I have changed batteries on both remotes.  Let me also say that, yesterday at Xmas, my nephew was playing around with my remote, and the alarm hasnt been the same since.  I have now erased the remotes from the alarm memory, thinking i could just reprogram them, but now the alarm doesnt even recognize the remote! 

Am I in some sort of wierd safety mode or something?   Any help is mucho appreciated.

bobbybattles 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
this wasnt suppsed to go here.  sorry.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

bobbybattles wrote:

Yes, it is. Please do not create duplicate topics about this alarm in this vehicle.

automate 553, 2003 Dodge Dakota - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
bobbybattles 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
the12volt wrote:

bobbybattles wrote:

Yes, it is. Please do not create duplicate topics about this alarm in this vehicle.

Understood.  I created a different topic only b/c it is a different problem.  I understand now to stay within the same vehicle as the topic.  Sorry and thank you.

So my last post is the latest problem I am having.  Can anyone help with this? 

P.S. The LED is not lit at all.  And when I try to program the remotes, the alarm does chirp as if it is ready to receive from the remote. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic