icon

Remote Start on a Frieghtliner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dangerousdarren 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, you read correctly. I have a customer that wants me to do a remote start on his semi tractor. Has anybody on here attempted this? Is there anything special I need to know? I am figuring it will be like doing a very big diesel pick-up. I am going to go out on a limb here by guessing I will not be able to find a data sheet on this, but no big, I will hunt and probe...at least under the dash will be at eye level...lol. Well, wish me luck and any input/advise is welcome.
Darren
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
I did a KenWorth for a guy not too long ago.
DEI does not list the Freightliner at all, and Audiovox only lists the Sprinter.
Since I did not have a tech sheet on the truck, I just energized all of the wires coming off the ignition switch in the manner they operated with the key. It was really not too bad of a job. I set the starter delay to max and put the unit on voltage sensing, it works well.
dangerousdarren 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah, I was planning on doing the same with the wires coming from the ignition, and either time the delay or runn off the wire going to one of the glowplugs.
Darren
buck_nekid 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
I never did a Freightliner, but I did like 25 school buses for my local district, about half of them were new and relatively straight forward, the rest were all older. What I had to do was like Twelvoltz did powering the ignition wires, but there was no tach, glow plugs, nothing on the new ones, they fired as soon as you turned the key. So I just set them up as normal gas engines (they were diesels) plus the new ones all had anti-grind built into them. The only tricky part was working the air operated door. that required 4 relays to trick all the interlocks on them. I advise against opening the door.
dangerousdarren 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2006 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
Cool. Yeah, I don't think he needs the door to open on his semi so it should be all good...lol. I does have pneumatic doorlocks, though, but it has to have a relay somewhere to actuate them...I hope.
Darren

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic