icon

Amp opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daddee 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
I just purchased 4-15" kicker comp VRs. DVC 2 ohms...i wanna wire them in series to get a 1ohm load. now i need an amp..the speakers are 500 watts rms so i know i need around 2000 watts out of a 1 ohm stable amp. i have had experience with hifonics and price wise they are wonderful so i was lookin at either 2     Hifonics BX1205D..which are 1 ohm stable and push supposedly 1200 at one 1ohm...or jus one Hifonics BX2200D..which is 1 ohm stable and puts out 2200 watts at 1ohm..what would u suggest for the best sound but less strain on speakers and cars electrical system..thanks
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  

Well, Hifonics is a good bang for the buck, but you are not going to get that kind of true wattage.  A good rule of thumb is that you should pay $.75 to $1 per watt for a quality amp. 

To find out what that amplifier is really making, take the fuse rating of the amp and multiply by 13.8 volts (which is what a cars electrical system runs at) to get watts IN.  Next multiply watts IN by .7 (to figure in the about 70% effeciency of the amp).  This will give you an accurate estimation of the amps true output wattage, which for Hifonics won't be nearly what they claim.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
This will push your push those subwoofers easy. This amp is power hungry as any 2000 watt amp will be I hope you plan on upgrading your vehicles electrical system to handle this much of a power load. The old rule of thumb you get what you pay for applies.....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic