icon

Amp remote wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dielon 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
So I have an Audiobahn amp, yes I know, I know... But atleast it's powering two Eclipse woofers.
It has a remote wire so it will turn on when you turn on your car... What I'm wanting is to put it on a toggle switch.
Can I run the remote wire off of the power wire that goes directly to the battery? Splice it and have another wire run off the main, into a toggle switch, and then to the remote terminal on the amp??
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
you can just put a switch in line on the remote wire as it is, hokked to a switched source from either the head unit or other switched source.   This way if you turn the vehicle off and forget to turn off your switch it will still kill the amp.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
dielon 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
I have a stock headunit... And I REALLY don't feel like tearing my dash out. Is the remote wire even nessisary? I could just put a switch on the battery wire, correct?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
yes, the remote wire is nessicary. If you are intending on running a wire along with your primary wire, then yes it can be done
Running a switch on your primary wire will not work unless you want to spend alot of money on the switch.   Most will only handle 1-5 amps where the primary wire will draw 30+ on even some of the smallest amps
Running an additional wire from the battery will work, but be sure to fuse the wire so the wire is protected from any surges that may cause the wire to possible catch it self on fire!
The use a switch inline to the amp.
I know tearing into the dash is a pain, but alot of times you can find a sitched wire simply, if you can find the fuse for your ciggerette lighter you can tap the wire at the fuse box for that.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe the easiest thing would be to run the existing remote wire you have back up to the driver's area, tie into the toggle there & route it back to the amp.
That way if you forget it's still off with the ignition and you don't have to take the dash apart (but still have to mount the switch).
Tell me, why do you want to do this? is there engine noise you're trying to hush when the music's off? Or want the setup to work when the car's off?
dielon 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
I don't always want to hear the subs booming. I have the premium stock system, so it's already amplified... just not to the extent it is now. if I have a hangover I don't want more of a headache because of the subs, but I still want to listen to music.
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
should have got an amp with remote bass boost...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
dielon 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Well it has it, like I said it's an audiobahn amp... you just can't find the remote ANYWHERE anymore. I think they discontinued them, or backordered them. Maybe they're back in stores, I've not check in awhile.
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
metra makes a little unit that u run a power,ground and + speaker wire from rear speaker and it makes a remote lead. email me if ya want one cheap.SPLaudio78@hotmail.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic