icon

98 Durango Remote Start Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tloftus82 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I just finished installing a Crimestopper RS-1905FM in my 1998 Dodge Durango (black key) and am having a problem with the remote start.
Everything works fine except when I remote start it will run for a few seconds and then the horn will just start blaring. It won't stop until I unplug the harness with the horn wire from the remote start brain.
I thought it might have had something to do with factory security so I grounded the GREEN/ orange wire of the truck to defeat the factory security completely. This works, it no longer arms.
This is the 2nd brain I have tried and have had the same problem with both.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
ya need to send a (-) pulse befor start to get the factory security to disarm while under remote start.
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
tloftus82 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
I read on this forum that if the factory disarm wire on the truck is grounded the factory alarm will never even arm, thus eliminating any need for communication between the RS-1905 FM and the factory alarm. Is this not the case?
tloftus82 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
Bump. Also the horn blares steady when this happens when I remote start. When the factory alarm was set off it was a pulsing horn honk. Something is causing the horn wire to ground inside the module.
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Tom
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure that you have the correct wire from the remote start unit connected to the horn wire.Also you can cut that horn wire from the remote start and try to start it again,if the horn turns on again then it's the factory alarm and not the Crimestopper.
tloftus82 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
The horn honks like it is supposed to when the car is armed or disarmed. When the wire is disconnected I can ground it and the horn honks.
When the car is remote started and the horn blares, it stops if I unplug the harness that the horn wire is a part of..
I'm sure it's the Crimestopper, just not sure what could be causing that wire to ground out.
Thanks,
Tom
tloftus82 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2006 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
So I figured this one out and thought I would post the resolution. The relay plug harness I bought for the starter disable had the diode in backwards from how the Crimestopper book said to wire it. The stripe of the diode goes to the 12 volt IGN wire and the other side goes to the alarm (pins 85 and 86). My fault for not looking and assuming that it was right, thanks to the12volt.com wiring diagrams for helping me figure this one out! :) So needless to say maybe there's some logic in these Crimestopper's that say 'hey retard, you have something backwards and are feeding 12 volts into me and are about to burn me up!'.
Thanks for your help as always -- now off to conquer a illuminated entry problem. :)
Tom

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic