icon

How to wire these subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boosti 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
Ive got two type R 10's and i wanted to hook them to a audiobahn 8002v, the subs are 4 ohm dvc and i want to wire one sub to one channel, second sub to sencond channel, but how should i wire the subs in parallel or series? I want the load to be 2 ohms on the amp b/c that apparently where it had the most power 400 watt rms, amd is this enough for the 500w type r's?
Advice appreciated
dfizzle 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  

If you want to do it that way, then you'd wire each of the subs in parallel like this so they each offer a 2 ohm load and the amp will provide 400W RMS per channel.  Alternatively, that amp can be wired to provide 800W RMS at 4 ohm by bridging the channels, so you could wire each of the subs in series and then together in parallel to present a 4 ohm load to the amp and they'd split the 800W, but it's pretty much apples and oranges.

Now as far as the subs getting enough power, that's questionable since they can handle 500W RMS and I'd have doubts about the Audiobahn amp giving you all 800W to begin with, though it may.  Regardless, I'd personally probably try and find something that's going to give you a bit more power if you can (closer to 100W anyway), but that amp will work you just won't be getting the full potential out of your subs.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, the "full potential" of the subs is not an issue.  Less than 100 watts is all they need for optimum performance...the additional power will just make a little bit louder sound at the top end of your volume.  Don't confuse RMS / thermal power handling as a "requirement for performance".  It is a measure of power handling ability.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boosti 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Ight that sounds good i appreciate the responses and so to wire them parrallel to each channel of the sub i can do it like this this
or i could bridge the amp and run each in series, and which would be better running in bridged or seperate channels
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't really matter...I'd wire each sub to a channel and parallel the coils
jayceon 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
I've got two 12 inches of the same, with a cheesy 800w 2 ch american legacy. i ran them each to there own channel and paralleled the coils. The sound is good at times, but very crunchy when higher bass hits. Also the amp seemed to just quit yesterday, the fuse is fine, it's getting power in, just not coming back out. I'm not sure if it's just the quality of the amp or if I did something wrong in the wiring.
I regret nothing, every choice I've made has kept me alive so far.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic