icon

Neutral Safety, other ways?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rideexileex 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 4:16 AM / IP Logged  
I'm just wondering what other intuitive methods are there for ensuring that a car is in neutral for a remote start. Preferably other than the typical e-brake ground wires that are "suppose" to keep the car from lurching, etc. Anything custom fabricated that would work?
The best I could come up with was installing some type of ring around the shifter, then a spring loaded ring around that, which would loose contact when in neutral and provide a ground, but, it would be a quick victim to mechanical fatigue as it would constantly be moving the springs while shifting.
Let me know what you have seen/done in the past... thanks
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

The problem with that is that every car is different.  Every shifter is different, and all the linkage is different.  I don't think it would be possible to come up with one solution that would work on 75% of cars.

Things I've done:

Used OEM NSS switch (Most Nissans have them)

Magnetic switches on the shift linkage itself.  When the car is in N the linkage is in the middle of it's travel, when in first, third, or 5th it's at its far end, and 2nd, 4th, and R it was at it's close end.  So, if the magnets were lined up the car would start.

I've always thought using IR light would be a good way to sense position, but I'm not sure how practical it would be.  You would have to have a place to install it that would only allow the light to pass when the car was in N.  Possibly, use two seperate beams, one on each side of the shifter, and if the detector picks up both beams allow the car to start?

There are also some companies that make an add on 'shutdown' module that requires you to shut the vehicle off in a specific way to allow you to start it back up.

Kevin Pierson
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Don't do anything but install a remote start designed for a manual trans. They are fool proof. NO elusive NUETRAL safety switch needed. And be careful what you ask for here .....the moderators will lock the topic.   FYI.
Evolution-UK 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
I know that directed here in the uk have a unit called the MTM1. It's designed to allow remote start units designed for automatics to work on manual transmittions.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic