icon

Battery drain.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alicat 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all, I've installed a steelmate alarm system in my car and whether the alarm is armed or disarmed, the battery goes flat.not completely but enough so the car wont start. Everything on the alarm works fine and i think its the starter kill wiring thats causing the problem.I've wired the starter kill relay after the neutral start relay using the following configuration.On the neutral start relay power to term 30,ignition to term 86,ground to term 85 and starter wire in term 87.On the starter kill relay,i have constant 12 volts to term 86,ground from alarm to term 85,term 30 out to starter motor.The starter wire goes from term 87 on the neutral start relay to term 87 on the starter kill relay.Do i need constant 12 volts to 86 on the starter kill relay or can it be powered another way?.I think this might be causing the power drain as the alarm system all works fine otherwise.Sorry for the long post,hope it all makes sense.Thanks for any help.
Alicat
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you're right.  You're starter kill is causing the problem.  Instead of hooking up constant on 86.  Hook 86 up to ignition +12volts.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
The way you wired it the starter kill relay is engaged whenever the alarm is armed. You want to move the 12volt power to ignition so it only comes on when the alarm is armed AND the igntion is on...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
alicat 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help guys,I've spliced 86&30 on the starter kill relay to the ignition feed on the neutral start relay
and 87 on the s k r out to the starter motor and i'll see how it goes.Thanks again.
Alicat.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic