icon

99-02 K2500 stereo system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
$toreycadillac 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

I am looking to buy a 99-02 GMC K2500 style ext cab pickup. i want to put a stereo in and i dont know how i can get to the stock speakers and i havent seen any screws to get the door panels off to get to the front ones.

A few more questions

1 Is there any special tools required to remove the stock radio, and door panels?

2 Will I need a GM harness adaptor?

3 Will a normal sized deck fit or would i need a double din or din and a half radio?

4 Will i need a dash kit or will the radio fit in perfect?

05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

no special tools required to get the deck out, no special tools required to get the door panels off unless you have a manual crank window

yes you will more than likely need a wiring  harness for the radio  BHA1858 or equivalent

you will also need a kit for this vehicle, the kit will make up for the din and a half style radio that is in there right now  BKGMK345  or equivalent

as far as the door panels you just have to look I can't walk you through  it as it would take to long, but you should be able to handle it

$toreycadillac 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
05gt wrote:

no special tools required to get the deck out, no special tools required to get the door panels off unless you have a manual crank window

yes you will more than likely need a wiring  harness for the radio  BHA1858 or equivalent

you will also need a kit for this vehicle, the kit will make up for the din and a half style radio that is in there right now  BKGMK345  or equivalent

as far as the door panels you just have to look I can't walk you through  it as it would take to long, but you should be able to handle it

ok so the doors or at least the screens on the speakers can be removed with say a flat head screw driver? The reason why i ask this and about the radio is because everything looks like it cant be removed. The last car i put a system in that proved to be a pain was a 94 sedan deville. i had to have a body shop remove the door panels to get to the speakers. i couldnt pry them off with a screw driver and didnt want to damage the door panels either. here are some pictures of one from Ebay.

99-02 K2500 stereo system -- posted image.

$toreycadillac 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

http:///.com/ebaymotors/2001-Chevrolet-K-2500-X-CAB-4x4-6-0-GAS_W0QQitemZ270068618394QQihZ017QQcategoryZ90966QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well thats the link to one that has interior photos i dont know why it didnt show up.

05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
the door panels don't just pry off, you will have to find the screws holding them on, and make sure you get everyone, some door panels have that elusive screw that you can't see
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
if i remember right...nothing just prys off. there are screws...one right near the handle (7mm im thinking)...take off the piece of plastic right near the a-pillar of the door(that just pulls off). pull the switch board off(power windows) pretty sure there is a screw in there. pull out the door lock "button" . Pull the plastic around the actual handle itself (screw hidden in there most likely) then after that im pretty sure the door just lifts out. good luck but its not too bad! if you have a problem or are unsure of yourself go to a local shop and have it done for ya....thats what were here for!
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Keep in mind that the door panels lift up first, then out. If you try to just pull them off after removing the screws, you can easily break something. Removing the deck is not complicated either. The installation kit will have instructions, but you basically unsnap the bezel around the radio to get to it.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
$toreycadillac 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

jvillefinest wrote:
good luck but its not too bad! if you have a problem or are unsure of yourself go to a local shop and have it done for ya....thats what were here for!
1 Problem... The "local shop" closest to me is a 2 hour drive to either Albany or Poughkeepsie. The last time i did an instal was in a 94 sedan deville that was a b*tch to get the front door panels off of.  I sold that bought a 93 Fleetwood brougham and didnt have to change any audio components its stock system sounded amazing. especially the rear deck speakers they sounded like i had a set of 12s.

My sister bought a system at best buy and had them install it in her saturn SC and she was on a 2 week long waiting list.

I'll get a better look of the truck soon. What id like to do is a component system with either Polk DB series or Infinity reference or kappa components. I havent made my mind up on a Deck yet. I dont really need a super loud set  of subs but id like to get a set to go under the rear seat and im thinking MTX thunderforms.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic