icon

sub enclosure calculator suggestion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arlin22 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, I've been playing with your calculators for subs (and others) and would be interested to see how useful anyone thought it would be to have another to find out subtractions for internal bracing/dividers once you have chosen your enclosure type and dimensions. 

BTW, I do like the calculators as they stand now.

thanks for the great site.  Very helpful

300M Special. Alpine CDA-9856; Infinity Ref 1252W (2)...so far
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

You use a basic calculator for figuring cubic inches/ cubic feet of displacement items.  It's simple to do with a pencil and paper and handy $2 calculator...or the one included with your computer.

But actually the site's calculators are very useful for figuring internal displacements.  The cylinder volume calculator can be use to find the displacement of a round port tube, and the rectangle volume calc finds the displacement of a slotted port structure.  I use them all the time.  Even the little pieces of wood that are used for stick-type braces can be entered into the rectangle volume calculator to find H x W x D, or the three dimensions that are needed for cubic displacement.  Just put a "0" into the 'thickness' category to render it ineffective in the calculation.

But you can do it just as simply with your small handheld calc.

When it's mostly pencil-to-paper figuring and then off to the workbench, rather than lots of time laboring at the computer with sophisticated "this is what it will look like and how to cut each piece of wood" software, you get to the real task and thus back to the real world a whole lot faster.  Get "hands-on" ASAP!

Note:  You might also like to look at this box-building software:  Boxnotes, designed by Collo.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
arlin22 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  

thanks Stevdart.  I didn't know about putting 0 in the thickness category.  I ended up using a project calculator anyway (Craftsman rocks...they'll sell  you anything).  I got the dimensions figured out exactly what I need to fit in the 300M.  i played with some MDF for a while and tore it all apart again.  I can not decide between subs facing out or in and I can't figure out what the difference in volume will be or sound dynamics.  any help with that?  I don't understand all of the 2nd/3rd/4th/6th/8th order stuff means and i don't care either...not an installer, just a diy'er.

Thanks again.

300M Special. Alpine CDA-9856; Infinity Ref 1252W (2)...so far

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic