the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Best Cordless Solder Iron Price vs Perf.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
I searched and seen numerous threads about soldering irons but the latest one was in january.. There may be some newer members that have input and since those topics are closed I started this one.
I currently have a Weller 8200 corded iron. It works good but wanted to go cordless..
I'm thinking butane and wondered what would be a good one to do moderate remote starter installs (about 10-20 per year).
I was looking at the YAS22 from Snapon but the tips are friggin expensive ($11 a piece). They may all be like that but...
If you could.. Please provide a minireview, the make and model number of the iron you use, the price, and a link if possible.
Thanks a lot!
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
I've got 4 Weller WPA2 Pyropens on the go in the back of the shop and i just love 'em........
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

kgerry wrote:
I've got 4 Weller WPA2 Pyropens on the go in the back of the shop and i just love 'em........

Holy smokes! Those are $130!?!? Wanna get rid of one for a xmas present to some unknown internet stranger? ;)

spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
I use a Blue Point/Snap-On YAKS22
you can get off off a snap on truck for around $80...lol, and your only gonna need one tip replaced every few months, maybe two if you do alot of precision soldering. Tips you can get off the truck for $5-$6 easy, Long as your cool w/ your dealer and buy something from time to time. You can also get butane cans off the truck dirt cheap...big (think its 32oz) for $5, at home depot a can more than half its size would that much.
sS
rtfm
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

spookiestylez wrote:
I use a Blue Point/Snap-On YAKS22
you can get off off a snap on truck for around $80...lol, and your only gonna need one tip replaced every few months, maybe two if you do alot of precision soldering. Tips you can get off the truck for $5-$6 easy, Long as your cool w/ your dealer and buy something from time to time. You can also get butane cans off the truck dirt cheap...big (think its 32oz) for $5, at home depot a can more than half its size would that much.
sS

How the heck do you get stuff off their trucks?

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

i have the bluepoint yak s1..........i think it sells for around 120?.........not much different than the yaks22(have this 1 also), but i think it gets hotter. invest in a good 1,either one of these will work just fine

as for getting stuff of the trucks, just watch for a truck driving around and catch them at the next stop........or go to snapon.com and you can find a local dealer or order from there.

tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone happen to have the manual they can maybe scan and email me for the YAS22? I bought one off ebay but all it came with is the iron.. No directions. Would appreciate it very much.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Master Appliance Ultratorch UT-110si. It was on sale for $110 when I bought it and I bought a $10 tip since the one that comes with it was is so small, but I have never had any problems with it in 2+ years, so it has been worth the money.
I just did a search for this torch and found one for $78 here:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mstut100si.html
It looks very similar to the Weller one mentioned above. The price has really come down since I bought mine a few years ago.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I use the Bluepoint (Snap-on) YAS32. You can get the Bluepoint YAS32 without the case and extra tips right from Snap-On's website (for those of us who do this as a hobby and do not have access to a truck/dealer). It is $67.70 and I am pretty sure that they will ship it to you at no additional charge. You can also purchase replacement tips from them, and you will need them eventually. The iron can be purchased here.
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

I got a yaks22 from snap on and i have been VERY happy with performance. I don't use it every day, but I do use it a lot and I got extra tips just in case and haven't burnt one out yet. I've had it about a year. I paid like 65 bucks and 9 a tip, but DEFINITELY worth it's weight in gold.

My rifle is my friend...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic