icon

Satellite radio noise 65 Corvette

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
b2reptile 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

1965 Corvette with "factory look" AM/FM cassette radio.  Radio sounds good with no engine noise, great FM reception.  Adding plug and play style Sirius radio, distributed by Directed Electronics. (Stratus SV3-TK1)

I have wired the 5v cigarette plug adapter to vehicles ACC wire at ignition switch, with ground to factory ground bolt under dash nearby.  Also using the display/receivers built in FM modulator for audio signal to the radio.  I have spliced  a PAC CSS-100 noise filter into the power lead, with little to no effect.

Not sure if this is a power side noise issue, or wireless modulator issue.  Any idea's?

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
To isolate whether or not the noise is coming through the power wires or through the case, try using a power supply not connected to the car for the system. The old Corvettes can be a real pain to get rid of any noise.
sparky
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2006 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
did you cut off the 5v plug and hard wire it or stick in a female socket and then hardwire the socket?
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
b2reptile 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

I've spent more time playing with this 65 vette.  The FM radio also has engine noise. (hard to hear anything over the engine running!)  We installed an MSD ignition noise filter. It had no effect on the noise, SAT radio or FM.

I'm starting to think this is a antenna/ground problem, being a fiberglass car.  Any more thoughts?

tophatjimmy 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

Did the car have this noise before you started working on it?

Not sure about the older Vettes, but my uncles 79 Stingray has horrible noise in the radio because none of the stock ignition parts use RFI suppressing parts. Has this been looked into/addressed?

I also have personal experience with the Custom Autosound "Stock Look" radios. I can honestly say they are the WORST built/performing pieces of junk I've ever taken out of a box. They're GARBAGE!!! I can't emphasize that enough...  We were doing an install on a customers 68 Mustang and he insisted on using one of the Custom Autosound radios. We went through 9 of them before we got one that would actually work. Screw that.

Anyway I would bet that unless the entire ignition system (plugs/wires/coil, etc...) have been upgraded, the ignition's RFI is the source of your noise.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic