icon

solder connections

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
felixunger 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
I want to install my keyless entry on my buick 1998 lesabre, I was thinking that solder connections would be the best , but the person that sold me the entry said never solder your connections on a keyless entry because it is not  a good conductor, could anyone on this site verify this?
bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
that is false, a solder joint is stronger than the wire itself, the best you could do to keep your connections together is by soldering them.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like the guy that sold you this is a complete moron.... Just had a buik in this morning that was litterally wire wrapped with NO tape and T taps in EVERY wire on the BCM... This guy was havin' all sorts of electrical gremlins, thanks to a bit of solder and some time, everything went working back to normal....
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
The guys is wrong, maybe they are just sales person rather than an installer. He made have gotten confuse between crazy glue and solder. And soldering are the common connection requirement in this electronic business.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.solder connections -- posted image.
advanced 
Copper - Posts: 207
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with everyone here. I've soldered everything since I started in this business & never had a connection fail. The wire broke once or twice, 'cause someone kicked it or yanked on it, but never a connection.

Do you think the space shuttle has connections that are just wrapped & taped & wiretied, like the big box stores do?

Soldering is the best, but it's time consuming. You make less money, but you get to sleep good @ night.

Good Enough Isn't!
felixunger 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the imput guys or gals, I have lived by the soldering methood for many years and never had any problems ,for  a  momment  there I thought I was doing it wrong.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic