icon

two 15 in strokers, two RF 500s?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cubic 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Everyone this is my first post. So here is my question. I have 2 old 15 in strokers dual voice coil 2ohm. I have 2 rockford fosgate 500s amps these are 2 channel. I know not near enough power but what i was thinking is just run 1voice coil per speaker . What are my best options here. I would like to bridge the amp 500 watts but I think the amps are only 4 ohm stable bridged. I really need some advise on this. Thanks
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
if the amps are 4 ohm stable then just series each sub up to 4 ohm and run one amp per sub.
cubic 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

Is it possible to use both amps for just one sub? 1amp per coil.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yes... perfectly acceptable to do so, as well... You said the amps are only stable to 4 ohms in bridged mode, and the woofers are DVC 2 ohm, so the AMPS won't do it, but otherwise, yes.
Run one channel of each amp to one voice coil of each woofer, and be done with it... You are making it too difficult on yourself.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
cubic 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
I thought about that but that will only give me 250 watts per coil ,there 1200 watt subs 600 per vc wouldnt I be better off sending all 500 watts to just one vc?
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Dude... YOU CAN'T DO THAT, the amps are not stable, bridged to a 2 ohm load. 250 watts per voice coil, is the SAME result as 500 watts to one voice coil, right?
If you use 500 watts to each woofer, that is a total of 1000 watts, true, but you gain 3dB, due to the second diaphragm.
You will have the SAME output - PERIOD - and your amps will be running safely, running 2 ohms per channel.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
cubic 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
I ask cerwin vega the same question here is the answer to add short the second coil and the amp will see a 4 ohm load

Hi,

In my personal opinion I would do one voice coil and put all 500 watts to it. Remember the Stroker 15D2 has will take 600Watt RMS per voice coil. Even if you put all 500 watts you will still be under powering it.

:: ::   Staling Almanzar : Customer Service
:: ::   954.689.8833 x2254 : 954.689.8460 (fax)
:: ::   stantongroup.ws :: Cerwin-Vega! : KRK : Stanton

haemphyst 
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
No, it wont... if you short the first voice coil, and only use the other as a driven coil, it is STILL one voice coil, rated 2 ohms. If you wire them in SERIES, you will present a 4 ohm load to the amplifier, and if you then bridge the amp to the 4 ohm load, your amp will "see" 2 ohms per channel.
I might mention, that if you are going to ask for our opinions then you might actually take the advice...
500 watts to one coil (which you cannot do in any kind of safe method) or 250 watts to each coil (which will work perfectly fine) is still 500 watts to the woofer... either way, (if you want to look at it this way) you are "underpowering" it. Do it the way you want, you obviously know more than I do.
I'll tell you what... Do it the way you want, and with the (either incorrect on their part, or misunderstood on your part) information you have received from Cerwin-Vega, and when your amplifier keeps shutting off because it is overloaded, I want you to come back here and tell everybody I was right, OK?
cubic 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

Im not here to be right or wrong just to understand! And just to do somthing because someone else tells me to would be stupid on my part if I dont have a full understanding of why Im doing it.

I appriciate your responding. I am learning from your responses. So here I go again. A 2 ohm dvc wired in series presents the full load of 4ohm (In my case shorting the second coil) . A two channel amp 2 ohm per channel bridged, Is 4 ohm stable. So... if Im presenting a 4 ohm load to a 4ohm stable amp... But what you are saying is the amp will still only see a two ohm load. I Thought the point of shorting the second coil was to present the total 4 ohm.  Confusing indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Those willing to accept an answer and forgo knowledge deserve neither" - cubic

haemphyst 
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Run one channel of each amp to one voice coil of each woofer, and be done with it... You are making it too difficult on yourself.
That is still the best answer I can give you!
OK, here's the misunderstanding/miscommunication... You are not shorting ANY voice coils. You are wiring them in series, and although it may SEEM as though it is one voice coil, it is still TWO... The amp will see one load. 2 ohms in series with 2 ohms equals 4 ohms - you are right about that. The current (power) goes through BOTH coils. You are still using two (as in BOTH) voice coils, not one. An amplifier, bridged to a 4 ohm load makes the SAME POWER as an amplifier wired in stereo mode to (2) TWO OHM LOADS. As I have said several times, you CANNOT USE JUST ONE VOICE COIL ON THE WOOFER AND BRIDGE IT TO THE AMPLIFIER. It will not be stable. An amplifier running bridged to a two ohm load is "seeing", electrically ONE OHM PER CHANNEL, which your amps are not stable to.
If you wire the coils in series and bridge the amplifer, you are still going to get EXACTLY the same amount of power to the woofer, as you would if you wire one voice coil of each woofer to one channel of each amplifier.
I still need you to understand this: once wired in series, you will be still feeding 250 watts to each voice coil, which will be EXACTLY THE SAME, both output and thermally, as wiring one channel of each amplifier to each coil...
Here are your wiring options, but only the second one is safe for your amplifier. Again, the second diagram will present the same load and the same power (and therefore the SAME OUTPUT, with less confusion possible) as wiring as wiring one channel of each amplifier to each voicecoil.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic