Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ravesrus19 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

Hello

Ford ranger, 2005 4 door stx

My question is: I have a dual coil, 250 watt RF rms sub that i will be powered by  a 250 watt rms rockford amp. Because it is dual coil, does this mean each coil will put out 125 wattsand split the draw of current? If so i will use 14g for the wiring inside the box.

thnx

2005 Ford Ranger, 4 door , stx model
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
The coils will ACCEPT UP TO 125 watts each, without any thermal damage occuring. Voice coils do not put out anything.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
Yes it means each coil is rated to handle 125 watts of power (ie heat energy), depending on how the coils are wired as to wheater current is split or not.  Yes 14AWG wire will be fine to run from the amp to subs.
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
jlord16 wrote:
Yes it means each coil is rated to handle 125 watts of power (ie heat energy), depending on how the coils are wired as to wheater current is split or not.  Yes 14AWG wire will be fine to run from the amp to subs.
Actually, the current is split ANYTIME both coils are used. If wired in parallel, you just need a mono amp capable of 250W at 2 ohms, and if wired in series, you need a mono amp capable of 250W at 8 ohms (close to 1000W at 2 ohms). If you have a stero amp, not capable of being bridged (the do exist...) it needs to be 125W per channel at 4 ohms.
The power is still split between the two voice coils - always...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ravesrus19 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
thnx guys
ravesrus19 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  

ok i have a dual coil rf sub (250 watts rms) I have a 2 channel rockford amp that can push out 250 watts rms bridged, or 75 watts rms per channel.

Should I: parrallel the coils together and hook them up to the amp bridged, so the sub can meet its full potential of 250 watts or hook each individual coil to a channel at 75 watts a channel.

I will be hooking it up the first method, unless there is some reason not to.

thnx

dfizzle 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
As long as your ohm loads are correct.  If your amp pushes 250W RMS x 1 at 2 ohms (which I'm guessing is the case) then as long as your sub has dual 4 ohm voice coils and will therefore present a 2 ohm load when wired in parallel , then you're all set and that's the best way to go.
haemphyst 
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't recommend that. Unless the DVC sub is DVC 8 ohm, you will be loading your amp to 1 ohm per channel, which RF amps won't do... You'll let the smoke out, and RF amps have enough trouble keeping it in already!
Most RF amps will only bridge into a 4 ohm load, safely. Your best bet is either 1: get another identical woofer, wire each woofer in series, then parallel them to the amp, or 2: run the amp in stereo with one amp channel running each voice coil.
::::EDIT::::
The actual output between 150 watts and 250 watts will be less than 3dB, and 3dB is largely recognized as the threshold of audible difference. What this means is that you will NOT hear the difference in output between the two connections. Put the phrase "full potential" from your vocabulary, and indeed, even your mind!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
I answered this question to him on the other site that he posted for help on. Thanks for recommending the exact same thing Dave.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
I got your back, brother! how to properly feed a dual coil sub -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic