icon

Grounding issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
d43m05 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have an 02 dodge stratus r/t, a mitsubishi eclipse with dodge body panels.
Installed a new Pioneer DEH5800MP, decent head, but when i'm playing any music with the engine running, the speakers pop, not the usual buzz from a ground loop. They pop in time with the engine's idle spark firing.
Is the stock ground, head ground attached to sheet metal behind dash, not sufficient, or is there another issue at work?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2006 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

You have a blown 1/4 amp surface mount fuse on the bottom of your Radio Circuit Board.      You can easily fix this problem by soldering a wire to the shield of your RCA cable  and ground the other end of the wire.   There is a picture to help you figure this out.  All you have to do is ground the end of the wire in the Pic.   

http://www.bcot1.com/images/rca/asdf.html

d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
There arent any RCA cables attached to the head unit. I havent installed any amps yet. The head unit is running to the stock speakers.
Mharvey 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2006 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  
i had the same problem with my pioneer 6800mp headunit. just make a seperate ground to ground it by its self, that fixed my ground probles
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2006 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
So instead of using the stock infiniti ground, i'm just gonna need to run the ground direct to chassis? nifty.
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2006 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard references to an amp bypass for the stock infinity amp, do or will i need one? and where could i find it?
Mharvey 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2006 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
yes a new chassis ground should take care of it
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
new chassis ground for headunit, direct to floor pan just below center console, cleaned metal of paint with a sander, just to be safe, i soldered the sucker on, in addition to a small sheet metal screw. Installed subs and sony class D amp, which made the popping from main speakers WORSE!!!! Subs dont pop though.
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
UPDATE:
Havent quite figured out whats going on with this issue. It seems to be electrical interference from the engine. It happens with the engine running, at cruise it doesnt pop, but under acceleration or at idle, it pops in time with the engine. All my grounds are secure, the stock infinity amplifier uses the speaker level output from the head unit so the stock infinity amp isnt being overloaded on the input side, ground loops have been declared null in this as well. Yet I have no clue as to what is going on. I'm beginning to think its related to the ignition circuit somewhere. Possibly a coil ready to die or a bad plug/wire

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic