Interior LEDs, 87 Firebird

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bluburd 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I have 4 blue LEDs installed in the footwells of my car (2 on each side) and they are currently hooked up to a switch in the dash.

I would like the lights to come on when the doors open and still have the capability to use the switch as well when the doors are closed. I know exactly where they need to hook into to get them to come on when the doors are open, but am not sure having both set ups is possible.

What is the easiest way to wire them so my switch can turn them on in addition to the lights coming on when the door is opened? Can I run power from both places?

Any advice is appreciated.

mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
diode isolate both wires and then you will be able to use both.
Eclipse 8445, Kicker DS60's, Hifonics TXi4400, Eclipse SW6143DVC, and Power Acoustik LT980-2.
bluburd 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
I read through the diagrams and that seems a little complicated for me to do. The LEDs came with resistors already attached, etc. so the installation was fairly easy. I'm not sure I'm competent enough to pull off something like this without having clear cut instructions that I can understand. Thanks though for yor help.
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Note: you can use a lighted switch in the dash for this, as long as it is not of the LED variety, you just need to change how it is wired up as it is normally set for switching the positive side:
Power- hook up to groung
Acc- hook up to circuit
Gnd- hook up to 12v+
Interior LEDs, 87 Firebird -- posted image.
bluburd 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I have an 87 Firebird (same setup as Camaro in case that helps) and I'm having problems locating the courtesy light under the dash on the passenger side.

There is a white dome like there should be a light in there, but when I pull the panels back there is no socket. I found the socket for the driver's side very easily, but have had no luck finding the passenger one. I checked all of the wires and it looks like there was never one in there (from looking at the existing wiring), but then why would there be the white dome for the light to shine through? I would make sense that the socket should be close by since it is supposed to shine through, but it is nowhere to be found. My dad bought this car new and said that it used to light up. No electrical work has been done in this area of the car.

Does anyone know where I can pull up wiring information on this so I can find out exactly where the socket should be in there?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic