icon

Subwoofer Placement and Pointing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigred948 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks much.  I'm glad to hear that your system turned out well. 

My box building information quest is because I have a similar situation to yours.  I want to minimize the impact on the ability to carry cargo.   That's why this box will be glassed around the passenger strut tower, taking up as little usable space as possible while optimizing the placement. 

It looks like I'll install the speaker facing straight back, with 3" or so clearance to the back of the vehicle.Enough so that nothing will hit it, but it'll be tucked away.

If  anyone has any insight on angling the speaker up towards the back glass, I'd love to hear what you have to say.   I should still have clearance to point the speaker in that direction while leaving the cargo cover installed.

An additional question:  Can part of the enclosure reside in front of the sub?  can that space be counted towards the total volume of the enclosure?  Any drawbacks?

-Greg 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

This is more work and a bit more expense, but your best bet is to build a mock-up MDF box of the same cu ft as your intended permanent enclosure.  You might build it along the lines of this example so that you can experiment with aiming and tilt.  Find what sounds best to you, and works with the rest of your system...which may or may not be the loudest it can be!

You can then sell the box to a friend.

Subwoofer Placement and Pointing - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Is that a growler from Stone Brewing Company?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bigred948 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

This is more work and a bit more expense, but your best bet is to build a mock-up MDF box ...

Very very true.  I'm pretty sure I will go this route.  I'm in no hurry to complete this project, and a couple of Pieces of MDF would give me some practice as well. 

bigred948 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Is that a growler from Stone Brewing Company?

Nope, it's a growler from Stoddard's Brewhouse in Cambell / Sunnyvale.  They're no longer in business.  I keep 1 growler (or 3, there's 2 wrapped in the towel) in the car for when I pass one of my favorite watering holes :)

Moylan's in Novato

3rd St Aleworks in Santa Rosa
Schooners in Antioch
Faultine in Sunnyvale

Good eye though!

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
I remember Stoddards... Sad loss, indeed. Down here in Bako, we have Old River...   mmmmmm Old River... But Stone Brewing is one of my all time favorites! Schooners is good too, and I vaugely remember getting to Faultine once, on a visit to my brother's house. I'll have to remember the other two, and tell my bro we need to do a brewery crawl, next time I'm in the area.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bigred948 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

I just did a quick sketch of the test box I'll be building.  sorry for the crap quality I took a picture with a cameraphone.

this will give me 0, 45 & 22.5 degree angles to test with.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic