icon

Budget quality system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
indiansprings 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Well, here is the plan... 2006 Superduty Crew Cab. Budget stealthy system.

Amp - JL Audio A6450

Speakers - JL Audio XR570-CSI front

Speakers - JL Audio TR570-CXI rear

Sub - Stealthbox

HU - Alpine 9856

I need to keep all the room I can under the rear seat, and there isnt any room behind the seat to speak of. I know it wont be loud, but what do you think for sound quality?

jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
are you running your speakers off of your HU or an amp? it would sound better if you ran it off of another amp but since its a budget it should sound nice, much better then the OEM setup. what size sub is it?
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
indiansprings 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a review of the amp.

http://www.audiogearreviews.com/reviews/amplifiers/review-JLAudio_E6450.asp

Channels 1 thru 4 will run the speakers and channels 5 and 6 will run mono to the Stealthbox, the speaker in it is a 10W1V2, Its one of JL audio's low end subs. According to that review the amp should be able to put 300 watts to it and 70 watts to each speaker, that is RMS too.

jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
that should sound really nice, i love JL audio and have never had a problem with any of their products. your not going to get really loud, earthshaking bass but for sound quality it will be nice
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
indiansprings 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to Dynamat the doors, someone recommended that I also do the headliner. Will that be a cost effective upgrade?
xraytriguy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sound damping will make a big difference.  As I understand it, reducing the noise floor of a vehicle by 6db effectively doubles the volume of your system.  So... if your Ford produces 90db of road noise and you apply enough damping material to reduce that to 84db, it would be like upgrading from the rated 70Watts per channel off your JL Amp to 140Watts per channel.  Since you did mention that loudness is an issue ("I know it's not that loud"), I'd say it would be a tremendous improvement.  As an added bonus ("but what do you think for sound quality?"), any damping material you apply will increase the quality of your sound as well because of the reduction in vibration and reflection.  Keep in mind that there are other brands of damping material available - Dynamat is expensive, so not as cost effective.  Hope that helps...
indiansprings 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the advise, What is another product like Dynamat that is a little cheaper, and where else would be a good place to use it?
xraytriguy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

There are a bunch of different companies...

Stinger Roadkill, Cascade Deflex, Scosche Accumat Hyperflex, QuietCar (which is liquid-based and probably WAY more expensive than any of the others...). 

Each will have its own marketing BS you'll have to weed through, but IMHO you have to worry more about adhesion than anything else.  They'll all do the job, but will they keep doing the job when it's January and 14 degrees at 3 in the afternoon or when it's August and the thermometer hasn't dropped below 90 in 5 weeks?

And of course - everyone is going to have their favorites and their hated ones.  I prefer to do all my research and "learning" on-line via forums such as this, review sites, and manufacturer web-sites.  That way, I don't have a shop owner or salesperson earning their commision off me... 

Hope that helps.

stevetireguy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  

I just found this forum. Yesterday, I installed an almost identical setup in my 2005 Ford Focus ZX3. The only difference was that I bought the Alpine CDA-9857 and TR570-CXI speakers in all 4 positions. I actually bought the speakers and head unit a few weeks ago, then talked myself into getting the amp and sub that were installed yesterday.

Amp - JL Audio A6450

Speakers - JL Audio TR570-CXI front
Speakers - JL Audio TR570-CXI rear
Sub - Stealthbox (10w3v2)  http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1390
HU - Alpine CDA-9857

First, the sound is really great. I'm in my 40s and don't listen to a lot of music that really pushes the sub, but so far the best stuff I've listened to with the sub is Nine Inch Nails "Closer" and Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc". The main reason I bought the alpine 9857 was for its iPod support, which is better than I had hoped for. I'm ripping my entire CD collection to lame encoded VBR MP3 files and everyone who has heard my setup says it sounds like CD quality to them.

I'm a complete rookie at car audio. I had a few concerns about the amp, even though the guys at the local shop assured me it was the right choice for my speakers and sub. I wasn't sure 150 watts from channels 5 and 6 would be enough for the 10w3v2 sub, and was worried the 75 watts per channel might overpower the 4 5x7 speakers rated at 50 watts max each. I'm on temporary assignment in a small Alabama town and I'm not sure the authorized JL dealer here has the best installers, but the job looks OK from what I can see. The main reason I did the Google search which brought me here was to see if anybody had posted settings for the 6450 amp with my setup.

I read the review you linked to, but I don't know enough about amps to understand how he tweaked the setup to 25 watts per channel on the speakers to get 307 on the sub. I'm a pretty quick learner with a set of manuals or online material, so if anyone could suggest a good place to start so I can get the most out of my setup, I'd really apreciate it.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Do a search on this forum for gain setting.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic