icon

Sub amp blowing fuse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blindone 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2007 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

what would cause the amp's fuse to blow?  i've traced the wires, and see no grounding or crosses, and haven't moved or touched the amp since i installed it about 9 months ago... what could cause it to suddenly start blowing fuses??

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2007 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Unless there's an internal problem with the amp then something's changed in your setup after the amp. Maybe a shorting wire, maybe a partially cooked VC, maybe a loose terminal, who knows?
Rip it apart or break out the DMM & start testing loads.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2007 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

blindone wrote:
what would cause the amp's fuse to blow?  i've traced the wires, and see no grounding or crosses, and haven't moved or touched the amp since i installed it about 9 months ago... what could cause it to suddenly start blowing fuses??

If the fuses in the amp itself are blowing, then either the amp or what's connected to it has fried.  Disconnect whatever speakers it is driving and replace the fuses.  If they blow again, the fault is the amp, if they do not, the fault is in your speakers.

Support the12volt.com
blindone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2007 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help guys.
blindone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

Alright I disconnected the sub both at the sub (blew again), then at the terminal (blew again)... basically as soon as the amp light turns on the fuse blows regardless of volume.   I need to remove the passenger seat in order to access the amp and test it with a DMM, any advice on main areas on the boards i should look for shorts? 

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

blindone wrote:
Alright I disconnected the sub both at the sub (blew again), then at the terminal (blew again)... basically as soon as the amp light turns on the fuse blows regardless of volume.   I need to remove the passenger seat in order to access the amp and test it with a DMM, any advice on main areas on the boards i should look for shorts? 

No.  You should take the amp out of your car and have it repaired by a qualified shop.  usually when an amp blows like this there is nothing the average user can do to fix it.  Also, you need to determine the cause of the failure before you simply replace the amp.  Why did it blow?  How was it setup?  What brand is it?

Support the12volt.com
blindone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
the amp was an alpine mrp t220, bridged to a single 10 inch fosgate punch sub.  it is mounted underneath the seat of an eagle talon, in the stock infinity location, grounded and powered by 8 gauge wire.  Its nothing super spectacular and i've never had a problem with it until now.  i don't play it very loud, and i have the gain set below half way... not much else i can think of to remember at this point
DYohn 
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
All audio gear will eventually wear out.  Could just be the amp's time to die.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic