icon

My first glass project, 99 Acura 2.3 cl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
seracis 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

I would rather have different subs but those were a gift from a good friend several years ago.  I'm waiting for the "OK" from the Mrs. to get new subs, sub amp and 4 ch. amp.

I think it sounds pretty good.  The amp is weak.  It's an Xtant 200.  It cost me $100 4 years ago and it's still going. 

This was my first project solo from design to build.  I've helped on a few at work but not very much at all.  They don't think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to anything other than tinting, even though I've been installing 12V for 18 years.

The used a jigsaw and a drill on the grill slits.  Drilled holes at each end of the slit and cut between them.  Carpeting wasn't that bad. 

I built the box to hold JL W1's or W3's, depending on the spending budget.  Future amp setup should be JL 500/1 and 300/4 or 450/4.

Just for giggles, I thought I would let you know that there is only 1 port.  The other is a dummy port.  Why?  Because I'm OCD.  I wanted the symmetrical look and according to the JL book of port and enclosure dimensions, 2 ports would have required both ports to be 10 inches or so each.  But with 1 port, it only needed to be 4 inches or so.  It made no sense to me, but I'm not going to argue with their R&D dept.  So, I made the left port with a bottom.  You can't tell even if you are looking straight at it.

Thanks for all the comments.  I wish my wife would let me do something to the Odyssey mini-van.  A couple 10's on a baffle in the back would sound nice but NOOOOOOOOOO.  Not in the mini-van.

integratyper934 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
how do you guys build your ports? we had this huge argument at work about how to calculate it. some people said what ever the length is of one double to accomodate the second. what we agreed upon was that you make the port for the airspace not for the woofers. in a sense the box doesnt know theres two...... what do you guys think?
seracis 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
You are correct, you tune the enclosure, not the subs.  As for "what ever the length is of one double to accomodate the second" that is not necessarily true.  It is very complex and bypasses my understanding.  When the guys and I at work build ports when usually build slot ports or rectangle shaped.  The internal volume of the port is an important figure.  You must deduct sub volume as well as the amount of space the entire port will take up.  The box does not know or care how many ports you have as long as wind noise in the port/s is not a factor.  Also, you have to keep the end of the port far enough away from the sub and the internal walls.
actypes 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  
nice work and you accomplished your look of the symmetrics..  The only thing i have to say about it about is how you put the peanuts in before you fiberglassed.  Even that 3-4 maybe 5 layers of glass may have taken away 1/8 of the amount of peanuts you put in the enclosure.. But im just picky with stuff way to often... haha, if it sounds good, who the fu.. cares?   nice job
Cougar.Modder 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2007 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
I do love the look, and keeps the simple look of the trunk intact.  I had myslef made an attempt on a enclosure and wasn't happy overall.  I am also thinking this route of using the trunk as a base.  Thanks for the idea and showing them great pics.  Good stuff. 
Alpine 7830 HU-4X100 W McIntosh -2X110 W McIntosh-MB Quart Q's Mid Tweets-4X10" Phoenix Gold Subs-Phoenix Gold EQ215ix-AC Epi-PG Line Driver-Phoenix Gold 1 Farad Cap -Clifford Avantguard 4-2 Ear Plugs
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
Do you get any port noise with just one port???
seracis 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
The port was made to JL Audio's book of specs.  No port noise that I (or anyone else here at work) can hear. 
aquaacura 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Wow someone else with a 99 2.3!  Very clean install, I'm going to do a normal fiberglass enclosure, but nice work.  Long live cl's!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic