icon

98 cavalier passlock and tach

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djtripz 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

ok, first off, thanks guys for helping me with the door locks, i finally got them working... onto the next step... can someone give me an exact location and color of the tach wire in the engine bay?? i found 2 wire looms each with a white wire, one has about double the wires as the other... could either of these be the tach?  also, for the passlock.. i read a post bout a permanent bypass..

"Pin 85 to ground, Pin 86 to your starter wire, Pin 30 to the passlock ground wire, Pin 87a to one side of the trimpot, and the other side of the trimpot to the motor side of the yellow passlock wire, and Pin 87 to the bulb test wire. "

if i were to use this, do i just tap into the starter wire?  also, should i have hooked up a starter inhibit relay? i think thats when u have to cut the starter wire in half.. in that case.. how would you go about hooking up the bypass??  any help is greatly appreciated!!!

ZipPhReaK 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
In the engine-bay on the top of the engine, there is the Engine Control Module. There's two plugs there; the bigger one toward the front of the car, grab the Orange or White wire there for tach. Works like a charm!
For the passlock 1, I just did a 99 cavalier and I used a DEI 555lw bypass module. Worked excellent! Of course you can do it the "other" way for cheaper, but the bypass modules are clean, easy solutions for passlock.
topper 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Tach is usually a white wire. Next to the battery below th radiator hose. can also be orange on 2.2L. THE 2.4L is PURPLE / white. Use a 555L or 556LW for your passlock.
djtripz 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info, i found the tach.. as for the passlock... how difficult is it to wire up one of these units? does anyone know the specifics of it... like how many wires there are that need to be hooked up??  you guys are great and i want to thank you for your quick responces.. i couldn't do it without you guys.  thanks again!!
djtripz 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
wire up a passlock bypass*
advanced 
Copper - Posts: 207
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
You don't have to cut into the starter wire at all to do Passlock 1. I just did a 1998 Cavalier the other day. I will look for a diagram & will post it on here shortly.
Good Enough Isn't!
advanced 
Copper - Posts: 207
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

This is not the easiest diagram to follow, but it's the right way to do it.

http://documents.audiovox.com/700056.pdf

Good Enough Isn't!
djtripz 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
thanks advanced but i was wondering... if i bought the bypass module (dei 555lw or 555L)  how would i go about wiring up one of those??
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

if you buy a proper module the instructions will come in the box....

555L or PLJX will do the job....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
djtripz 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

do u know the specifics of it tho? like which wires i should be tapping into? and if i use the module, do i need any resistors or anything??

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic