icon

96 explorer, rca adapter, wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bugrookie 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

I am trying to help my son install an adapter for rca cables for a sub woofer in a factory stereo in a 96 explorer.  The diagrams that I have and have seen on this site are not matching what we are seeing.  I took the door panel off to look at the color of speaker wire, but can't find the same color coming out of the wiring harness on the radio.  Any help would be appreciated.

Kent

another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
factory amp is above the passenger rear wheelwell behind the the plactic panel
3cc_installer 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2007 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

you may have a factory amplifier.  you can do one of two things.  since you are hooking up a subwoofer you will want to use the rear speaker wires for the RCA connection.  The adapter you are talking about is called an L.O.C. or line output converter.  You can connect the LOC behind the radio to the rear speaker wires or you can use the rear speaker wires coming off of the speakers.  using the wire in the rear if the truck will cause you to place the LOC on one side of the truck and then run a jumper wire to the other set of wires for the other speaker.  this is a pain and unnecessary.  just use the wires behind the radio.  an easy way to figure out which wires are for the rear speakers it to use a 9 volt or AA battery.  i like the 9 volt because you have that connector thing that clips to the battery.  anyway, you can get that at radio shack.  next get a pair of leads for a volt meter (DMM or Digital multi meter)  connect one lead to the positive wire of the clip for the battery and the other lead to the negative.  atttatch the battery and test your wires.  when you hit the correct wires you will hear a scratching sound out of the speaker.  if you look at the speaker and it pops out when you probe the wires you have the positive and negative wires hooked up correctly.  if the speaker sucks in when you probe the wires you have them reversed.  having said all this i'll just make you life simple and give you the wiring diagram!  good luck, let me know if this helps.

i got this from www.installdr.com

<>

Right Rear Spkr (-) Blue

Right Rear Spkr (+) White w/ Blue Stripe

Right Front Spkr (-) White

Right Front Spkr (+) Blue w/ White Stripe

Left Rear Spkr (-) Red w/ Blue Stripe

Left Rear Spkr (+) White w/ Blue Stripe

Left Front Spkr (-) Blue w/ Orange Stripe

Left Front Spkr (+) Purple<>

<>

Ground Wire Black<>

+12 Volt Ignition Wire Blue w/ Black Stripe<>

<>

+12 Volt Battery Wire Blue w/ Red Stripe

Jared Nixon - A.K.A Jsmoke
3rd Coast Customs
Lake Charles, Louisiana
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
can't just pop them from the back of the deck. it does have a factory amp. must turn the amp on to pop the speakers. instead of "placing it on one side, then jumping it over" you can pick up all 4 speakers at the amp in the larger black plug. there you can pop the speakers with a battery to see which one is which
bugrookie 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input, I will try the suggestions and get back with you all to let you know how it went.

Kent

bugrookie 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

Finally got the subs hooked up.  Thanks for the help and I'll let my son do whatever tuning that needs to be done.  If he can't figure it out, I will probably be back asking questions.

Thanks again,

Kent

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic