icon

HU selection, 94 Impala SS

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hofiveo 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 94 Impala SS with Kenwood kfc-x468c front speakers and Kenwood kfc 6989ie rear. I am looking for a HU that will complement those speakers. My problem is the selection for my car is narrow by Crutchfield. Most HU's are to deep they say. I would like to have a HD built-in HU w/ cdplayer. I have always prefered Sony but it seems on here people like Eclipse and Alpine. Can someone tell me what needs to be done to fit one in my car. What models are available for say $300.00 or less. I plan on adding an amp and sub later but do not know much about that. Or should i start from scratch and put in better speakers and head unit now and then amp and sub. Iwould like to put in seperate speakers, tweeters in the vents and mids in the door but i need help designing something like that. Please help me decide which way to go, also if you need more info just ask. Thanks
94 Impala SS,Neal Racing 2400T/C,PPM HDkit,UMI Upper/lower CA's,Intrax Springs, Raiss intake,3.73 gears,Eaton Posi,IE D/S,Delteq Ign,Meziere W/P,Tri-Y's W/Flowmaster,Bryan Herter Program.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Crutchfield is good, but you don't have to limit your purchase to them. If you're only using it as a tool to see what will fit, that's fine. Check out Sounddomain as well. If you find something you like, visit a local retailer and try to locate it. You can also remove the factory radio, and measure the depth of the dash cavity for an idea of what will work. You'll want to leave about 3/8 of an inch or so at the back to give room for the antenna and wiring harness. Some installation kits also come with spacers to bring the deck out a bit (which will help in your case). Now when you find something you like, you can ask your salesperson to find out the mounting depth (this will be in the manual).
If you see something you just have to have, but the math doesn't work out, ask about a custom kit. A crafty installer should be happy to accomodate you for a little extra money.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
hofiveo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have my eye on a eclipse cd 8455. Just hate to know that my speakers will not be good enough for the HU. Any recommendations on aftermarket speakers to fit in oem locations for this eclipse?
94 Impala SS,Neal Racing 2400T/C,PPM HDkit,UMI Upper/lower CA's,Intrax Springs, Raiss intake,3.73 gears,Eaton Posi,IE D/S,Delteq Ign,Meziere W/P,Tri-Y's W/Flowmaster,Bryan Herter Program.
hofiveo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I am buying the Eclipse cd5000. what speakers(the ones that have all speakers in one) In factory location would work with these and later be driven by an amp with a 10" sub later. Or can someone point me in the direction to read how to choose speakers for this application. i am a newbie and want the best sound i can afford. I am looking at spending around 150.00 a pair for the fronts(6.5")  and 150.00 for rear(6x9). I just need be pointed in right direction. Please help on how to find the best set up. I am not looking to be the loudest just a good clean loud with a little boom.
hofiveo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
anybody! i just need to be pointed in the right direction. how can i match some speakers up to the eclipse cd5000(just bought it) or are the kenwoods decent? Does Polk seperates work good, saw some on crutchfield for 250.00 for a pair. somebody please point me where i can learn.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
It's best to listen to equipment and buy what you like than to buy what someone else tells you is good.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
ricoshay 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Its worth taking a trip to a shop and listening for yourself.  Go to one that sells the speakers that you have and you will get a little better representation of how it will sound.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic