icon

Mass-backed carpeting?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
schmiddy 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

I need to replace the carpeting in my 2001 Chevy Tahoe- current carpeting has stains and mold issues that I can't fix.  In the process I had considered soundproofing my floor with RAAMmat/Ensolite, which seems expensive and labor intensive. 

Most of the molded-carpeting manufacturers offer the option of "mass backing", which adds 40 mils of heavy vinyl between the carpeting itself and the jute backing.  It's about a $150 upcharge.  It seems like a much easier and cheaper option- does anyone here have experience with these products, and know how they compare to soundproofing the floor with deadening mat?  Thanks in advance.

integratyper934 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  
well dynamat deadends the floor when you adhere it to metal because the tacky glue bonds to the metal and makes the metal thicker in a sense, wich stops vibrations etc. now the carpeting in my opion being thicker will keep alot of the sound out due to its shear thickness but dont think it will have as much impact as the dynamat because its not tacked down. but as far as cost effective youll proably spend 2 or 3 times more on dynamat so carpeting might be a better route. hope this is helpfull.....
snowboarderandy 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed new carpet in my Expedition and it had the mass backing. I bought it from stockinteriors.com. When I took out my OEM carpet, I realized that it had mass backing on it from the factory. I decided to lay down some Fatmat on the floor and use two layers of jute carpet padding under the new carpet. By installing all of this, it cut down the noise from my exhaust by atleast 50%.

I recomend that you buy the carpet with the mass backing and also buy 100sq.ft. of Fatmat for $100 on eBay. It will cut out most of the road noise.

Thanks,
Andy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic