icon

same speakers but different ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys i was about to hook my amp up to my mids and highs but before i did that i decided to check my wires another time with a meter and all was fine except the speaker wires.  one read about 3.5 ohms and the other jumped around i think it read 10 ohms....soooo...im thinking either a wire is disconnected or i hooked up a speaker wrong by hooking up the positive and negative wrong? what do you think it could be? im guessing im going to have to take everything out and check all the wires, so i guess i should know if there is anything else i should look for.  im assuming the 3.5 ohm reading was right because it stayed at that number it didnt jump around like the other one did.
in case your wondering the speakers are a cdt hd 60 component set.  i wired the mids and the tweets to the mid and tweet input on the x/o and ran one wire from the x/o back to where the amp is, this is the wire i checked....thnx guys
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Is the reading the same on both sides? Meaning this: did the 10 ohm reading do the same on the same terminals with the other side of the car? If so, you're fine.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
nope both sides were totaly differnt, one (drivers side) was 10 ohm and the other side (passanger side) was 3 ohm, weird....
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
The side reading high is fried or shorted or has poor connections or is hooked up incorrectly, or the low side is.  I'd bet on the high side.  Remove both speakers and meter the wires by themselves from the HU to the mounting location.  They should rear less than one ohm.  If not, there's your problem.  If so, then you need to check out the speakers.  If they are OK (L and R speakers not connected to anything reads about the same resistance) then you may have simply hooked something up wrong.  Redo the installation.
Support the12volt.com
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
thnx john, thats the plan...hopefully the rain will let up 2day or 2morow, i cant wait to hear these speakers....
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
is it possible one of the wires could be pinched or damage? i pre-ran the wires from the x/o to the amp about a year and i havent used them until now....
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

let me get this right:

Remove both speakers and meter the wires by themselves from the HU to the mounting location.  They should read less than one ohm.  If not, there's your problem. 

so check the wire from the h/u to the x/o...if its more then 1ohm, its the radio?   are you talking about the rca wires? from the radio to the amp?  if its less then 1ohm, then the problem is from either the x/o or the speakers? so the x/o may be bad or the speaker may be bad? is there a way i can check the x/o with a meter? i dont think it could be the x/o, when i got them they were still brand new wrap in plastic...but you never know

im going to check the wire from the hu first, then ill check the speakers themselves, is there a way i can find out what om they are? im assuming each is 4ohms

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
I thought you said in your first post that you had metered the speaker wires (I assumed at your HU or amp) back to the speakers and got radically different readings.  Correct?  SO, disconnect the speaker wires from the speakers (or yes, the crossovers) and disconnect them from the HU.  Check to see that you have good wire on both sides by testing continuity through them.  Should be less than one ohm.  If not, you've got damaged wires.  If so, then the problem is in your speakers, crossovers, or the connections.   This has nothing to do with any RCA cables... or is that what you metered in your initial post?  Please explain.
Support the12volt.com
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
hey john thanks for your help, i feel rather stupid.....yea i was talking about the speaker wire that ran from the amp to the x/o.  so i checked everything out and all was fine, both the mids and tweets read about 3.0 ohms.  so why do i feel stupid? The probelm was i hooked up the wrong tweeter wire to the x/o  lol.  i have a 2nd set of tweeters that came with the speakers and i ran the wires for those but im not hooking them up yet.....i wonder if that happens to everyone

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic