icon

amp install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
i put a 1000w amp pushing 15s in a pontiac sunfire  should i put a cap inline ?
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
yeah a 1 farad cap probably wouldnt be a bad idea.........it'll improve your SQ as well as help your cars electrical system under heavy loads
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

if you are having problems with lights dimming, add a battery or install a HO alternator...

I disagree with the use of caps EXCEPT for use in an ultra SQ system, and then just for the fact of voltage regulation...

think of it this way...your alternator has to power first your car, and then your system...so when your alternator starts to fail at this and your lights become dim on the longer bassnotes, you install a capacitor...now what? now your alternator has to work HARDER...not only does it still have to power your car, and your stereo, but as soon as the cap drains (which will not take long in any kind of high power setup) then the alternator has to deal with that as well...and while the alt is attempting to charge all three things at once, nothing gets a real good charge...your cap is now robbing valuable power FROM YOUR AMPS and vehicle...

I have discussed the use of caps at great length with many people, and as I said, they do have a purpose, just not a very practical purpose for too many people...I know salesmen sell them all the time as a band-aid...tell the poor customer its a miracle cure for their dimming headlights...ya, right...and kill your alt way sooner because of it...sure, use it in an ultra SQ setup...not an SPL setup and typically not in any SPL competiton car...

mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

what if we turn on all the acc. like lights and air full blast and the system on blast. then check the batt. for a draw it never gets below 12volts do we still need a cap? and i also agree with the cap takin power,but like you said a sales man wants him ta get one

demond96 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

If you do that then you will burn out your alternator eventually. I had the same problems. I forget what ampereage an alternator puts out but that would exceed the alternators capabilties. I couldn't use the a/c with the system on, my lights would dim on longer bass tones. If I did my fan blower motor for my a/c fuse that supported would blow. What I did was re-wire my subs(0.66ohm to a 2.66ohm) to draw less power. Problem solved for me, this may not work for you, but it worked for me.

mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
so from what every1 is sayin i cant put a 1000W amp pushing 2/15s without an alt. or cap
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
im sorry not a CAP a  2nd batteryor an alt.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

Yup.  When you put in the second battery you will also need to get a battery isolator.  They come in different amperage levels, and you can get one at most automotive parts stores.  The isolator acts as a brain and is installed inbetween the alternator and both batteries.  The isolator takes the juice from the alternator, determines which battery needs it, and then sends it to that battery.  Most people will run their stereo from the second battery.  I prefer Gel cell batteries, Optima makes some good ones.  I believe Rockford Fosgate has some out there as well.  If you install the 2nd battery inside the vehicle, you will deffinately want a sealed battery (wether or not its a gel cell is up to you).

You wouldn't happen to have graduated from Walkersville High?

Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic