icon

vinyl wrapping my dashboard

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smonty 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

I made a dashboard out of fibreglass and would really like to wrap it in vinyl but I'm not sure how. I would really appreciate some help.

vinyl wrapping my dashboard -- posted image.

interior newb
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
find some high quality 4-way stretch vinyl. that is the only stuff that has any potential of working.
98k1500chevy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
use some good vinyl and some spray on contact upholstery glue, works fine
smonty 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
How long and how much should it cost? if I did it myself and if I had a place do it in town?
interior newb
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
theres a company called JUST DASHES somewhere that repairs antique dashes, but you're talking big money for their work, plus weeks.
pick a flat place, stretch like crazy, and slowly encourage the material over the contours. have lots of extra on all sides, so you don't run out halfway down a section.
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
You will need at least 2-3 yards of heat formable vinyl. Get some high temp contact glue and a heat gun or hair dryer. You spray both the dash and the vinyl (after you cut it of course) and let it get a little tacky. Then apply the vinyl starting from the center and work your way out and check periodically to make sure you have no bubbles and use the heat source to get it to stretch and conform to the shape of the dash then staple or hot glue it to the back and cut off the excess and voila! I strongly recommend the heat formable vinyl and high temp contact glue b/c car interiors get VERY hot and it will last longer than regular vinyl and contact glue. Hope I helped.
Pure Noize
smonty 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
That helps a lot, what type of places sell heat-formable vinyl?
interior newb
smonty 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

the other thing I was wondering is if I wrapped a paint roller in vinyl and rolled that over paint would I get the same design? places in town wanted 6-700 dollars to do this job, So if I can paint it and roll the vinyl on it and get the same texture that would cost me like $20 max. I'll try it on a test piece and let you guys know what happens

interior newb
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
If you just want the vinyl look than you just need texture spray from SEM or even O'Rieleys (rocker panel spray.)  Just play around on a piece of wood or cardboard to get the right texture contour and after you are satisfied spray the dash.  Haven't heard of wrapping vinyl on a paint roller before, but I  have applied regular fg resin with a brush on a pillar and laid the vinyl over the resin.  I then waited for the resin to cure and peeled it off and there is your texture patten, then dye to match.  Be sure to use some type of barrier between the vinyl and resin, like baby oil or tanning oil.  I would think that rolling it on with a paint roller would smear it.  If you attempt what I said be sure to have a couple friends help you to place the vinyl over it from the top, not letting the vinyl "walk" on you, or it will have a smeared appearence as well.  Just try it on a scrap piece of wood or something. 
davedyer79
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

smonty wrote:
That helps a lot, what type of places sell heat-formable vinyl?

FIRST:  TO ALL FORUM READERS -- **PLEASE DO NOT FLAME ME FOR THIS!!!!**

I used to work for a company called Select Products they sell it and I'm sure some of the guys here know of other places too. Here's their url www.selectproducts.com . Give em a try. Call the florida office and talk to Craig White, he'll take good care of you and tell him Demetrius sent you.

Pure Noize
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic