icon

heavy light dimming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
velodyne 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

I'm having power problems.. I have alpine pdx1000/1 and mtx 500/4 amps, i have yellowtop battery did big 3 and got a better alternator, but i'm still getting heavy light dimming... what's my other option? should i get a cap???

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
lol a cap will not help heavy dimming...what kind and how big of a alternator did you upgrade to??
What gauge did you upgrage your big three with??
What size is your main power wire to the amps??
Maybe add another battery in the rear
3cc_installer 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  

where did you get your alternator?  alot of places sell what they claim to be high output units that really aren't much better than your factory unit.  Try to stick with the bigger companies such as Stinger, Ohio Generators, HO Alternators, ect.  If you did get a good alternator you might consider a dual bracket.  in alot of cases you can use your factory alternator and an additional high output alternator to get the job done.  The same rule applies to the dual units as well.  You get what you pay for.  A true HO alternator is gonna run somewhere between $400 & up depending on the output.  Caps are only band aids for a power problem and they are really bad band-aids!  Adding an additional alternator would be my suggestion.  The amps that you have are really not that big.  I wouldn't think that you would have a power problem with a true high output alternator and an extra battery.  Remember that your amps are gonna draw alot more current if you run them at 1 ohm.  Running them at 4 ohms will get rid of your power problem also.  I have a Rockford T30001BD & a Rockford T8004 running off a 200 amp alternator from Ohio Generators and a yellow top battery with no power problems at all.  But i am aslo running the amps @ 4ohms.  so you might consider getting a bigger amp that will give you the power you want @ 4 ohms or getting another alternator than can handle the load.  Sounds like you are on the right track though.  Good luck.

Jared Nixon - A.K.A Jsmoke
3rd Coast Customs
Lake Charles, Louisiana
velodyne 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

my power wire to the amps is 4g and my big 3 is 1g is 4g good for my amps?

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
should be fine as long as the run isn't too long

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic