icon

Non-cubed Box, weird addons

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
therobot99 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
My truck, is a 1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, It has a camper shell on it, back window removed, and seal in between camper and cab. I have two Digital Audio DAW-1500,(15" dual 4ohm) in a prefab box right behind the seats in the pickup, I set the box up high(you can see the woofers in the rearview(yes, I do lose my rearview)), so I can still use my truck to move things and have my sound, great sound at that. It won't hurt my feelings to get shot down, I love the way it is now (everyone else hates it :). But I would love the deeper sound, cause sometimes, I slip in a Chopped and Screwed, and the subs unload.
I finally got around to using WinISD to check the curve and the box, which is 5.875 ft(3) with a shared port, isn't the way to go to get the best sound from the woofers, WinISD said a perfect middle ground(my opinion) is a box 6.81 ft(3), per woofer (3 inch round port, 4.51 inches long).
Now my question, because I want to maintain the room I do have in the back of my truck, the new Boxes, would expand in width, 4 inches each(no problem) and 13 inches deep(problem).
Do vented boxes have to be rectangular? Can I build the new box around my wheel well, to maintain a cube like space in the majority of my "trunk". I was told by a local audio shop it effects a vented box alot, sealed is just compressing the space, but vented doesn't like it.
Anyone?
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
No vented boxes don't have to be rectangular. Shame on the shop who says so. They only care about the volume of the "box" (i guess enclosure would be more appropriate, lol) because they move air. If the shape of the box mattered wouldn't the inside of the car have to be rectangular too? Nah, I say build your box, dang I mean enclosure  how u like as long as the internal volume is up to spec and avoid asking that shop or at least that person in that shop advice. They seem not to have too much experience.
Pure Noize
therobot99 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2007 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  
Ah, yes, sorry, Enclosure. How's this?
https://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=enclosuregh4.png
I know the port at a different axis will effect the wave interaction, but how much? Will it decrease it that much? Is it best to just put it on the same axis with the woofer?
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

therobot99 wrote:
Ah, yes, sorry, Enclosure. How's this?
https://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=enclosuregh4.png
I know the port at a different axis will effect the wave interaction, but how much? Will it decrease it that much? Is it best to just put it on the same axis with the woofer?

The image doesnt work. As far as I know the only way the port is affected is how it's positioned in relationship to the walls of the enclosure not the woofer (unless you are really close which is kinda ugly anyway or right up against the magnet. I know that you should have the bottom of the port a certain distance from the wall...3 inches i think.

Pure Noize

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic