icon

need more juice!!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gmc4x4 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i think i have about overdone my system, my question now is should i get a high output alternator,    cap (s?) or add a second battery.

I have a  gmc p/u with a clarion HU with the  motorized monitor (just watching TV alone seems to kill the battery quickly) I recently upgraded  everything else. i  now have

punch 500 amp running 3 phosgate 10"                                                                                                            legacy 600watt amp running  2 10" subs                                                                                                               xtant 4 channel amp running (2) 4x6 and (2) 4"infinitly

this alone when its cranked up dims the lights and the volt gauge drops off alot. In the summer I will be pulling a boat so i will be adding trailer lights and fog lights to my total pull on my system..

So what do you think..what would  help the most? 2nd battery, cap( how many/what size), a high output alternator, (i will do all if needed, or I just dont what I should do).... thanks..

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

go with a HO alternator...caps are not near as good as what most salesman claim for helping your system...a 2nd battery will help for now, but when you start adding the other things you are talking about, that just creates more work for your alternator...and it sounds like it isnt keeping up as is...

if you get a big enough HO alt, you wont need a 2nd battery or *ugh* caps...

if you wont a greater explanation as to why caps are bad, ask for it...I will leave you with that for now...

gmc4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
i read your reply on caps on the other thread..i will do the HO alt....now about a 2nd battery will this give me any decent voltage with the truck off, or will i ALWAYS need to have the truck running to run my system?
gmc4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

need more juice!! -- posted image.

dont know if this pic will show up, does anyone know where to get a good dual battery set up? or have any suggestions?

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

how extensively do you plan on playing your stereo without your truck running?

as far as adding a battery, if you dont have room in the engine bay, it would probably be best mounted in the box close to the cab, fastened securely and out of the weather...buy a marine battery box or something similar that is weatherproof and bolt it to through the box to something sturdy...

but a second battery is really only necessary if you plan on playing your stereo alot without the vehicle running...one idea is to run a second battery but isolate one, so you will never be stuck somewhere and not be able to start your vehicle...I have 2 batteries in my car, but they run together...no isolation...

one other note: I wouldnt bother going out and buying the Yellow Tops or Red Tops if that is what you are thinking...Stinger batteries are all fine and dandy, but the company that actually makes Stingers competition batteries is Hawker Oddysey and they are exactly the same batteries for alot less money...and that is if you want fancy batteries...if not, the Sears DieHard Gold batteries are very underrated and well worth buying, especially considering the savings over a yellow or red top...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic