icon

Viper 5900 sst, 2000 Chevy S10

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dirtjumper895 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i have been pondering about a remote start and aftermarket security system for a while. I have picked this one. http://www.amazon.com/Viper-5900SST-Alarm-Remote-Start/dp/B000IHX80O/sr=8-1/qid=1168038006/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0042826-7242035?ie=UTF8&s=electronics]  I know that i will need to get a bypass module for this to work. How would this one be? http://www.amazon.com/Gm-Passlock-Bypass-Learn-Routine/dp/tech-data/B000804AAS/ref=de_a_smtd/105-0042826-7242035]   This one has a learn routine which says that there will be not messing with the resistance form the tumbler in the ignition. [color=red]or[/color] should i go with a bypass module with out the learn feature ? I am thinking the one with learn is the way to go. Can somebody please confirm this for me?

I have the wiring diagrams for the truck also. How long could the install take? I have pretty decent electrical skills and good mechancial skills.

Thank you for any answers.

dirtjumper895 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
Also is there anything else i could buy to make the install go smoother or easier? I was thinking something like a t-harness but i haven't found one yet...
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
1. That is a very good unit, but DEI does not warranty a do it yourself installation. Make sure the seller will warranty it.
2. It has been my experience that the bypass you chose is pretty much bullet proof. I have switched recently to the GMBP though, as it does not require cutting any wires in the vehicle. You can find the installation manual here
3. As far as time required, I would recommend setting a day off aside to attempt the job if this is your first starter install. Take your time, verify all wires prior to connecting anything and make solid electrical connections. I recommend soldering all connections.
dirtjumper895 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

I was also wondering if there was a way to hook up my tailgate to the alarm. I currently do not have an electric tailgate lock, but i was wanting the truck to notify me if someone was opening the tailgate when the system was armed. (since i have a 2005 yz250f that spends alot of time in the back)  I was thinking about getting a door pin switch and putting that on the tailgate. Then, i could hook that up to the "trunk" sensor input. Would this work? What would i need for something like this to work? I have heard of it being done on a couple of Avalance's but it was not in great detail.

Thanks alot!

97chevy

dirtjumper895 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Also, is there a good way to protect theives from opening my sliding rear window? The window has a latch, but it can be opened easily if you know what to do. Any suggestions?
dirtjumper895 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody know about if i could also do the last two add-ons?
dirtjumper895 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

I just ordered my viper 5900ss and the bypass (gm 555lw. Just still wondering on the last two options on the tailgate and the sliding rear window trigger. Can it be done?

Thanks for any replies.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have pinned tailgates in the past, it can be done by doing exactly as you suggest and just use a pin switch hooked up to the trunk pin input. As for the rear window, I have done a mercury switch in the past but I dont think its really nessasary, if someone gets in the back of the truck, its possible they may have opened the tailgate to do it but even if they dont than its probally gonna set the shock sensor off anyways. If you are really worried my suggestion is mounting a second shock sensor under the box of the truck in a protective box as I think it will be more helpful in the end.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
or a radar field sensor......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
dirtjumper895 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

Ok i broke down and had the system professionally installed. It works great, but the shock sensor seems a little on the not sensitive enough side. ( i can jump in the box with out it going off) How do i adjust it? I know the sensor works because i have set it off, but i would like to make it a little more sensitive.

Is there a way to do this? Also i can never make the sensor send out a warn. Only a full alarm. I was thinking a little adjustment could fix this. I could just bring it back to the installer's shop, but i figure i could give 'er a try first. Thanks alot!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic