4 channel amp, DVC subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sna66 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I always do my own installs, but this one has me a bit stumped.. this is my personal installation, its a 2003 350z, I'm using one amp a kenwood 4 channel KAC-8402 (60w X4) and only 3 speakers (not a competition system) i have 2 alpine full range 6.5" up front and an alpine 10" type r sub in the hatch. the 2 front channels are obviously gonna power the 6.5"s. My question is what's the best way to connect the rear channels to this sub, each voice coil is 4 ohm. I use a jvc dvd head unit that connects to a 7" lcd in the nav space

option 1: connect each rear channel on the amp each voice coil independantly?

option2: bridge the two rear channels on the amp and run the subs at 2 ohm?

Any other options?

TIA

ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
depends on what the amp will run at. if  it is stable at 2ohm mono then do that.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
That amp won't do one ohm per channel, which is the same as bridging it into a 2 ohm load. Your ONLY remaining choice, therefore, is your "Option 1" - running one channel to each voice coil, for a total of 120 watts RMS to the sub.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sna66 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the advice haemphyst thats the answer i was looking for
sna66 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
just wondering though, each voice coil is 4 ohms, if i run it in parallel, won't the load be 2ohms??
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, wired in parallel, the voice coils would present a 2 ohm load. What Dave was getting at is the fact that 2 ohms bridged mono is for all practical purposes identical to 1 ohm stereo (per channel). This is because the load is shared between both channels when you bridge. So bridging your amp to a 2 ohm load is the same as connecting one ohm per channel.
Your other option would be to connect the voice coils in series, and bridge the amp (8 ohms). This again is essentially the same thing as connecting one voice coil per channel.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
Your other option would be to connect the voice coils in series, and bridge the amp (8 ohms). This again is essentially the same thing as connecting one voice coil per channel.

...and is the option I would tend to choose.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmmm, type R sub is what 500w rms......dual coils.....250 each......amp bridged to 4 ohm mono should be in what the 200-260w rms into 4 ohm range.....one could always only use 1 voice coil on the sub. Might be something to try.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic