icon

Sub Hum?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wallgood358 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
I recently installed an amp/sub set up in my roomates 02 Acura Tsx. Sounds great, but when you turn off the stereo the subshum loudly with bass. But do not do that when you simply turn the dial all the way down. What would cause this? The subs are older Kicker 12's, and the amp an older Legacy Audio 1200watt, 4 channel. I am only using one side of the amp, channels 1 and 2. The power lead wire is 4 gauge with inline fuse, ground in attached to the chassis in the truk with 4 gauge wire as well. The headunit is stock.
rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
make sure that the amp is turning off when stereo goes off. had an accord that the 12v switched behind radio actually didn't turn off when i turned the radio off. verify that you have 12 volts with radio on, and ground when radio off.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
What is the gain set at?? What LOC did you use??
does the sound go away then the signal wires(high or low level) are unplugged
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
hook your remote wire to your ignition. same thing happend to me, headunit remote wasnt turing off for some reason and kept the amp on.
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
wallgood358 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
I am using rca and the it does not do it when the rca cables are unplugged. The remote wire is still puting out 11.9 volts when the stereo is turned off. Why would it do that? How do i fix it?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
Verify the remote wire is connected to a switched source such as an accessory or ignition wire. If it is, it's possible a transistor in the amp is bad, causing a "backfeeding" voltage to the remote wire.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
if you unhook the remote wire do you get a reading from the amp? then read the remote wire. did you try hooking it up to the ignition?
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
well he said problem goes away then the signal cables are unplugged so it prolly is something to do with that
Try re-grounding your head unit or grounding the rcas
rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
thats just meaning that its not getting signal. prob won't help by replacing ground. I seriously think it is because his amp is still on after he turns off the radio. had this happen in two diff cars before.
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2007 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  

rudydapump wrote:
I seriously think it is because his amp is still on after he turns off the radio.

YES!!!!!! when you turn of your car your amp should not be on still, your remote isnt connected to an ignition wire so its keeping the amp from shutting off.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic