the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Adding DEI 516L & 508d to 6500ESP

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Strykrincognito 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2007 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

Vehicle:  2004 Mustang V6

Hey folks, 

Some time ago I transferred my 6500ESP to my 'stang with all the trimmings, and I just rec'd my new chatterbox and disturbance sensor. Installation looks fairly straight forward, and I should have no problem plugging in the sensor to the ESP's multiplex port, though I'll need to tap/bridge the Stinger's multiplex 4 pin to do that. Secondly, once the talker's all installed and programmed, I can see I have options, and questions:

1. Should I/ do I need to diode out one of the multiplex connectors when I go to bridge those two sensors?

1.a I notice that on the new Stinger shock sensor wire, the warn-away and trigger are bridged at the OEM, should I do the same for the 508d?

2. The 516L has the three trigger inputs for the custom messages, assumed (-), so logic states I choose one of those wires and tap only the second stage trigger wire of the multiplex, as long as the ESP can deal with the bridged inputs and differentiation between warn and trigger, right?

3. I don't want to use the 'Vallet Starting blah...' voice promts from the 516, I'd rather have one of the programmed responses for starting the vehicle, a one-shot [sound] that won't repeat.  Has anyone has any experience with rigging this and/or is it possible to reassign a programmed output to the remote start? I see that with the 516, when you trigger a message-trigger input longer than .8 seconds, the system plays a full message until 'siren' resets. Does this mean that, for example, if the unit is monitoring the alarm siren, if the remote start fires and triggers a multi, the 516 will trigger appropriately, but will then immediately silence after one cycle due to no ESP siren output (even though the multiplex on the 516L is receiving a continual trigger)?* 

*I have a VTL/M (variable timer) module for something else, which, as a last resort, I can diode off that and then truly only throw 5 seconds of trigger to the talkbox if necessary.

4. Lastly, and probably simple, any suggestion in the 'stang as to where to hide the disturbance sensor where it'll do the best work?

Take it easy, and TIA.

--Andy

Strykrincognito 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  

I have a new question:

The 516L detects arming by monitoring the 'Ground-when-armed' wire (Or). However, the Anti-grind relay also runs off that same feed, not to mention the 508 also is supposed to be wired to the GWA as well (though it's connector snaps into the 6500.)  DEI's manuals say that if you have a voice unit, you /may/ have to disable the anti-grind feature.   Is there a way around that, and still have the starter kill work?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE (for anyone who's interested):

Installed proximity sensor (508d) beneith the center console, just below the tiny coin-slot space in front of the molded cupholders. FYI, that location (1) seems optimally center and (2) when mounted just right, the field adjustment screws are directly below the coin slot's opening when removed.  [DING!]

The 516L I plan to install behind the stereo. I have already pre-programed the three multiplex inputs using a phono cord between the unit and my laptop for audio. (NOTE: keep output volumes LOW)

Now comes the joy of isolating all the triggers properly.

Angel
Lone Technician
Percussive Therapy: The art of executing applied force directly to an object accurately in an effort to remedy the problem at hand.
Strykrincognito 
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

Completed Install.

Still adjusting Proximity sensor, found tip for location on different board. It was further suggested to install a bypass toggle for the warn away zone to prevent annoyance in quiet areas.

Wired up mic input of 516L with a splitter and toggle for mic switch to be able to feed onboard laptop audio through PA feature for show.

Unless anyone has other tips for calibrating/locating the 508d Proximity, I consider this topic closed.

Angel
Lone Technician
Percussive Therapy: The art of executing applied force directly to an object accurately in an effort to remedy the problem at hand.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic